PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Mr. Gates

whoeverheis
08-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Oh my God! I have to tell the world. My only Knoppix negative in the past has been WIFI. Popped 4.0 on my Gateway laptop and it works just like the "other" OS. The tears won't stop! Now I can say "So long Mr. Gates" :mrgreen:

Cuddles
08-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Now, now, whoeverheis, I dont think you should really be saying that... Goodbye to Gates????

Cause, it sure sounds like, either you are at, or have passed through, the Pearly Gates :D

Have Fun,
Ms. Cuddles

KNoppix newbi
09-01-2005, 02:38 AM
Just think If Steve Jobs hadn't come up with mac os windows users wouldn't hae the ever growing user base that it does Despite Linux and other opensource Operating sysytems being on the market it still seems to me as if windows will never be fully removed from the computing worldNow now I know what ypour thinking this guy is pout to sell microsoftd some what junk os bu by no means Im' i evenassociated with Microsoft nor a die hard Microsoft user but I must admit that even having knoppix around is an excuse at least in my mind to give windows the back burnwer treatment at least for recreationall use I'm a full hearted beleiver in open source soft ware and operating systems but I just don't think that either of the twp have a big enough maket share to cmpleetly chew Microsoft up and spit them right back ou again.

Cuddles
09-01-2005, 01:45 PM
KNoppix newbi,

I have to admit, I was able to ditch M$ Windows completely, but, not that many people can, or will, be able to... For example, some "proprietary" software, that some financial institutions use, may only come out in Windows format, and may never come out in anything else... Not to mention, that this software is so, detail specific of a market use, that it may never see anyone getting a hold of the source to make it a GPL version, thus, locking people / companies that use this software, from ever "completely" getting away from a Windows OS...

Most people, can, move away from a Windows OS, some do, and some, are so "dead set" on they can only use, want, or need, a Windows OS, that they wont even look at another OS...

Sometimes, people switch, but, I wouldnt think that the "whole" computer OS world, will ever shift completely to anything other than M$ -=- Unless, this has something to do with a MAC, which, it appears, Apple still holds a lions-share of that OS Market...

Just my thoughts,
Ms. Cuddles

sakiZ
09-01-2005, 09:12 PM
I envy you Cuddles. You have achieved the Holy Grail! :-)

I still have Windoze on my HD. But I disabled my modem in the devices section. No chance of viruses or adware now. Ha ha!! Now, it just exists to run the few programs that Linux won't run: Like Topo 5 and some games.

M$ won't be getting anymore of my money that's for sure.

sakiZ

PS:

I saw this amazing fact in EWeek. Quick. What is the amount M$ has had to pay out from court cases it has had to settle? This is astounding: 9 BILLION DOLLARS!

Not your Mr. Rogers Neighborhood kind of company.

Cuddles
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I envy you Cuddles. You have achieved the Holy Grail! :-)
Good point!

I feel like it is a prize, a goal, attainable by all who look, and seek it, but, alas, for some, it is but another arms reach length longer than they can reach... As the analogy goes, for some, this "longer reach" could be not having what they need in Linux, that does work in Windows, for others, it is but a "lack" of challenge... Some people fear Linux, from some of the "propaganda" that is "preached" about it being this, or that, and sume will not even attempt the "challenge", for fear they may not suceed

In many ways, its kind of like the "Fiddler on the Roof", kind of thing. Some people dont want to break with "tradition", so to speak, and others, find, that Linux is not some "voo-doo" enchanting, conjuring up encantations, or typing hebrew related commands... Its just different. I have been running "Linux" since my joining this forum, and, I still think I am learning, I still think of myself as a newbie, a babe in the forest, still. Linux is a different breed of cat, thats for sure...

I still have Windoze on my HD. But I disabled my modem in the devices section. No chance of viruses or adware now. Ha ha!! Now, it just exists to run the few programs that Linux won't run: Like Topo 5 and some games.

M$ won't be getting anymore of my money that's for sure.
Good idea!

I still have an old Windows game, and, unless I fork out the cost for the "Cedega" payment, for buying it, the game refuses to run in anything other than Windows. No worries, the game, I played it in Win98, it wasnt worth what I have to deal with, in running Windows, just for the game... I live, and the game, sits on the shelf, as a reminder of the OS I used to run...

PS:
...This is astounding: 9 BILLION DOLLARS!
I wouldnt be surprised!

Microsoft isnt what you would call a "sqeeky clean" company, they have lots of skeletons in there closet, thats for sure... Considering what M$' "bottom line" must be, that number is more like a "parking ticket" to them...

As a side note, M$ could never go under, they employ thousands of people, and if M$ went under, what are these people going to do for there "daily bread"? I sure wouldnt want them to put there resume in to any Linux organization, or company, or Distro... It might not be the code that makes M$ so... hmmmm... buggy... But, maybe its the people???? [giggle]

Ms. Cuddles

jjmac
09-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Unfortunately a lot of what passes for computing courses, in schools etc ... are really exercises in "how to use MS products".

jm

Kowood
09-28-2005, 07:07 PM
I completly ogged Winblows.....Mainly because it kinda corrupted it's own partition table...I was using Kanotix for a while...But got sick of that and installed ArchLinux...Which is by far the best ever. I've learned a lot from it. How to edit the files, how to compile kernels...And just recently, I installed CRUX 64 on my new box....But source based on dialup is the hard....So...I'm just running Arch in 32 bit mode. I have Windows 64 on that box....I don't know why...Probably because I don't like dealing with Cedega...Not that I paid for it or anything....Heh. If I could fix one thing in my wine conf I would not need Windows, and could play games fine. Good thing UT and Quake are Linux native. ^_^ I got my little sister using Arch too. The parents are still hardcore WinUsers though. But they'll learn the next time a virus goes around. The only thing I can't do in Linux is get viruses....I mean I've run programs with spyware in wine....but it just doesnt seem to work. Haha....Some lady at WalMart was on her mobile phone: "I got the AntiVirus...Now should I get McAffee or Norton Firewall?" me: cough cough...Linux coughcough...Oh...I do believe I need to go to the section in which Robitussin is sold....^_^

OErjan
09-29-2005, 04:54 PM
i rarely use windows. actually i do not own a computer that runs it.
but some frineds and my father ... i frequently help them so i sadly get anoyed quite often,
hope that more people find the peace of mind that is a well configured/patched/updated Linux system.

chris-harry
10-01-2005, 05:51 AM
me brother and sister are very open to linux now... mainly because our windows wont want to work... YEAH COMEON THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST WEEK IN ME LIFE!!! YEAH!!! um... sorry... just happy...

well, the only time i use windows, is to play games... and to use Macromedia and lightwave (because i dont have mac... once me sister gets an ibook, i will use her ibook... thats if she does get it)...

i use linux for everything else... because i love it so much... :p I do much of me 3D learning in linux (mainly because of it power and its rendering time is alot less the windows)... but i also love how its all set out., the fileling system is the best... mainly because it set out so well.. so neat... unlike windows...

jjmac
10-05-2005, 12:08 PM
the devil you know (grin)

jm

chris-harry
10-05-2005, 11:13 PM
:D:D if only the school would use linux... its alot funner... (i have come to the conclusion, i cant speak english, because its me home launguage)