PDA

View Full Version : Nill Cable On Paralell Ports Allows What?

NeroZero
08-24-2005, 01:59 AM
If I want to link two computers together (Nill Cable over pararellport)
, what can I do between Linux and Windows machine over such a link?
Real network?!

Or is it then far better to get two simple networkcards and link them
directly?!

fpd
08-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Printer ports are parallel ports (8 bits travel on 8 wires simultaneously) and you can find a transfer program on the www, but why?
Serial ports are, um, serial ports (bits travel like a line of ducks) and you can find a 115kbps transfer program on the www, but why?

Network cables are also serial, but transfer data at 10Mbps, 100Mbps and now 1Gbps.
- Connect a cable between the two network ports, or connect both computers to a router.
- On your Windows box, set up Netowork Neighborhood's file sharing (instructions in Windows >> Help or on the web).
- On your Linux box, set up SMB (Samba) - instructions are everywhere on Knoppix or Debian-based Linux forum sites.

Why not just burn it all to DVD / CD or USB thumb drive?

Harry Kuhman
08-25-2005, 02:51 AM
Connect a cable between the two network ports, or connect both computers to a router.
There is a bit more to it han this. If you use a router (or even a switch or hub) you use regular cables. With a router the computers will get their setup information by DHCP. If you just connect the two computers directly together using modern twisted pair cards, you'll need a special cross over cable (unless you have rare NICs that automatically adjust for this). A normal ethernet cable will not work. With the cross over cable approach, or with the switvch or hub you'll have to set up the network informattion in the computers manually.

But yes, the networking stuff is all there, the support for slow hacks isn't. So it would be far better to get two nics, an inexpensive router and two inexpensive standard cables. And if you have or expect to get high speed Internet service this is certainly the only way to go.

NeroZero
08-25-2005, 09:51 AM
So that is why I prefer this nill cable issue instead of linking to networtkcards basically...
But how then do I tell Linux to run it! I just checked (see my other posting here in this
subform) for knoppix to find my AHA13-50 ScSiParalellPort interface (hoped via this plest. or so module), but it dit NOT!! How far does autodecetion go anyhow?

Harry Kuhman
08-25-2005, 10:06 AM
How far does autodecetion go anyhow?

But yes, the networking stuff is all there, the support for slow hacks isn't.

Or is it then far better to get two simple networkcards and link them
directly?!

NeroZero
08-25-2005, 01:58 PM
I guess I will stick to the serial/serial method, but what shall Knoppix tell me that I know i can access the other computer as /dev/?!?!) or better mountingit?!

BTW: i read today, that a DVD is the size of 9 CDroms. How big is a CDROM in MB?!

OErjan
08-26-2005, 06:33 PM
a cd is usualy something like 650 or 700M roughly,
a DVD is roughly 4700Mb that is 4.7Gb.
by the way, a serial conection would likely be as fast as the peralell one.