PDA

View Full Version : System freezes when starting Gnome

tmedina
08-24-2005, 06:08 PM
I've got a problem. I rebooted my system, and it has never re-booted fully. The last line on the screen is:

Starting GNOME Display Manager: gdm

it has been on that line, with the cursor blinking for about an hour now. I have no idea what to do. I've got KnoppMyth R5A16

UPDATE:
Okay -- I am able to get into the system using SSH from another computer -- but every command takes about 5 minutes to execute. The monitor on the frozen/slow system STILL remains on the line I noted above. Any suggestions?

tmedina
08-25-2005, 01:56 AM
The system finally finished booting-up, after 6 hours.

Now I'm re-booting to see if it will occur again, and it's definitely S L O W -- now it's stuck on:

Starting internet superserver: inetd.

I think once it boots up I'll just install Debian, without Knoppix. and I figured out I was running Linux mythtv 2.6.11.9-chw-2

UnderScore
08-25-2005, 03:31 AM
strange booting issues & system slowness are usually (usually) atributed to a bad CDR. Please read through all the questions in the Donwnloading FAQ as there are ways to make usre you have a perfect burn. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

tmedina
08-25-2005, 11:15 AM
I've read through the issues regarding bad burns. I do not believe that is the problem, as the system has been running for at least 10 days without a problem.

I'll keep working on it.

Thanks.