PDA

View Full Version : LCD close freezes Knoppix

Morph_NX
04-22-2003, 04:26 PM
I've installed Knoppix as HDD-Install on My Laptop, but when I close the Laptop with knoppix running, and open it again, its freeze.

The screen remains black and doesn't turn on again.

Hope someon can help me

ths
Morph

MattT
04-23-2003, 01:54 AM
Did you try going through the screen output options? Most laptops have a Ctrl + Function key that will change between LCD and external monitor. This happened to my Laptop all of the time.

pcmike
04-09-2004, 12:02 AM
This happens to me as well, anyone know how to fix this issue? :?

Durand Hicks
04-09-2004, 04:58 AM
You're using apm or acpi? With apm, just right-click on the battery icon and choose suspend, and then close the lid. This puts the laptop into suspend to ram mode which is close to hibernation. When you crack open the lid again, you'll be right back to your desktop and it shouldn't freeze. I don't know if this works with acpi though as I have acpi issues so I use apm as that is a more proven feature.

pcmike
04-09-2004, 07:43 AM
ACPI isn't functioning properly under the 2.4x kernel which is what I've narrowed this issue down to. My Dell doesn't support APM. I'm currently downloading Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.6x kernel so hopefully that will resolve my issue! ;)

pcmike
04-09-2004, 10:20 AM
And it's a NO GO. Knoppix 3.4 still doesn't fix the lid freeze problem seen on Dell Precision M60s. The issue revolves around the driver Knoppix is using for Nvidia cards as some others on the acpi.sourceforge.net mailing list have been able to get their D800s to work properly.

If anyone from the Knoppix team happens to read this please check out this thread: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=4871797

I really want to use linux but without being able to close the lid its impossible! Someone please help us new Dell laptop users out!

pcmike
04-10-2004, 04:14 AM
I've got the situation figured out (thanks to Kanotix which loads acpid, not sure if knoppix does the same, haven't checked). Basically what the problem (for my laptop at least) was is there is no default event created in /etc/acpi/events for "lidbtn" which would cause something (acpid?) to hang/freeze/lock up.

My solution was to create a default action called "lidbtn" in /etc/acpi/events. My action was as simple as "echo "works"" which resulted in nothing happening when I hit the lid button. Also, I can report that when this event is in place (which results in your screen NOT locking up) that the lid state is reported correctly.

This information pretains to a Dell Precision M60.

-------------
With all this in mind.. I'd like to make the following recommendation to the knoppix team for the upcoming downloadable 3.4 iso:

Please create a default event for the lid button ("lidbtn") in the /etc/acpi/events directory. Ideally the action for this event would blank the screen or shut it down.. but that's not necessary if you don't know how to do that universally on all monitors. Just at least create the event so that users don't have to create on their own everytime they boot knoppix. ;)