PDA

View Full Version : Error while booting from CD

BasK
08-24-2005, 10:00 PM
I get a lot of errors while booting from the CD on my new PC, while the same CD works fine on my laptop. So the CD must be OK (md5 checksum was OK too).

First, the following errors occur hundreds of time:
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: ATAPI reset complete
hda: status error: status=0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
etc...

At the end, the process stops with the following:
cloop: read error at pos xxx in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 28814 bytes lost
cloop: error - 3 uncompressing block xxx
kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block {1,3}

What might be the problem here?

Help is very much appreciated!

Bas.

Harry Kuhman
08-24-2005, 10:22 PM
... while the same CD works fine on my laptop. So the CD must be OK...
We see this "it must be ok, it worked on a different system" claim over and over, but it sometimes turns out to be wrong. At what speed did you burn the CD? Sometimes CD's burnt at high speed will behave very differently from one system to another, but if you burn slowly everything is suddenly good. I don't like that it happens that way, but it's just the way it is and we have seen many cass of it. Sometimes the CD even seems to work OK, but everything is just too slow. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78925#78925) Burning at a slow speed fixes this too.

You might also want to read the Downloading faq (there is more information in there than just downloading) found by following the Documentation link near the top of this page.

BasK
08-24-2005, 11:34 PM
At what speed did you burn the CD?

At 48x, and the errors occur on the same device as the CD was burnt on.
Should I try burn it on 24x speed?

Harry Kuhman
08-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Should I try burn it on 24x speed?
NO, you should read the Downloading FAQ and then you should burn a copy as slow as your drive will go. Even better, if you have 700 meg CDRW media, use that (which will force you to burn slow and will not waste a disc if this isn't the problem. I don't know for a fact that it is the problem, but I do know that fast burns can cause this problem.)

nermin
08-26-2005, 10:16 PM
´Hm I have the same Problem and I burnt the CD with 24x

UnderScore
08-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Are you getting cloop errors? If so then it is usually an indication that the CDR is bad. See My PC will boot off of the burned disc. It is strange since it loads but then stalls or it loads but is giving me I/O errors. What's going on? (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ#Q:_My_PC_will_boot_off_of_the_burn ed_disc._It_is_strange_since_it_loads_but_then_sta lls_or_it_loads_but_is_giving_me_I.2FO_errors._Wha t.27s_going_on.3F)

nermin
08-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Yes I get cloop errors,now there is a nes CDR drive in my Computer,but I have no drivers for it,on the CDR is written:48x Max.Can I boot from the CD-Writer?