PDA

View Full Version : Runs on K6-2 500 AX59pro but not on Athlon xp1800+ K7vmm

Kimberley
04-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Hi. I downloaded and burned the Knoppix cd yesterday and it loads fine on my old machine: AMD K6-2 500, Ax59pro, 320MB, 6 & 30 GIG, Liteon CD, AOpen CRW1232pro, SB 16, Diamond Stealth S111 540 AGP,... :D
It won't load on my newer machine: Athlon XP1800+, ECS K7VMM, 256MB, 40 GIG, Liteon DVD, Atapi CD-RW, integrated audio and lan, ATI TV Wonder, SIS 315 AG AGP,... :(
I have tried many of the cheat codes and when I use vga=normal I get as far as: uncompressing Linux...OK, booting the kernel. Nothing after that. Failsafe gets me to a page of text with: ESR value before enabling vector : 00000002. The cursor blinks at the bottom of this page and then nothing else happens. Most of the other codes get me to: loading vmlinu2.........loading miniroot.gz............ then I just get a pale green screen and nothing else. I'm sure hoping someone can help me out. Thanks. PS: I tried disabling the sound and the TV Wonder card too.

Loper
04-23-2003, 01:23 AM
Hi. I downloaded and burned the Knoppix cd yesterday... It won't load on my newer machine: Athlon XP1800+, ECS K7VMM, 256MB, 40 GIG, Liteon DVD, Atapi CD-RW, integrated audio and lan, ATI TV Wonder, SIS 315 AG AGP...
This motherboard has on-board integrated video. I think that's part of your problem. Frankly, the SiS 315 card is equal to (or only marginally better than) the integrated S3 Savage 4 stuff. My recommendation would be to remove the SiS-based card and enable the integrated video. If you choose not to go that route, re-check your BIOS settings to ensure that the on-board video is turned off.

I think that compatibility will be better if you pull the SiS card, unless you have a strong reason not to.

Kimberley
04-23-2003, 02:09 AM
Thanks Loper. Yes, I disabled the onboard video. It was sharing 32MB RAM and I only have 256. The SIS has 64Megs of its own and after I installed it I was finally able to get my son's C&C Renegade game installed. Any other suggestions?

Loper
04-23-2003, 02:58 AM
..after I installed it I was finally able to get my son's C&C Renegade game installed. Any other suggestions?

That would qualify as a "good reason". I downloaded and checked the board manual. There are some BIOS settings that may help.

1. Go to the BIOS setup screen.
2. Select the PCI / Plug and Play Setup menu.
3. Turn OFF Plug and Play Aware OS (this won't affect Windows).
4. Ensure that Primary Graphics Adapter is set for AGP.
5. Set Allocate IRQ for PCI VGA to NO.
6. Please report back with results, especially if this doesn't work.

Kimberley
04-23-2003, 03:42 AM
Thanks again Loper. When I installed the SiS card I did steps 4 and 5 so I know the video is running from the SiS AGP and not the onboard video. I was looking around in the forums earlier and saw the neg on Plug and Play so I tried that but it didn't work. I turned it back on after. It was worth a try though.

hazenmeek
04-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I am running an amd 1800+ processor and have had no problems gettin knoppix3.2 to run on my computer other than a dsl connection although it does find my erethranet card so I am still trying to find out what the problem is everything else works even my hp1120cxi printer with knoppix3.2 04-18-en version of knoppix when you first fire your computer make sure you go into your cmos settings and select the cdrom as you fir boot device the put your disk in turn on computer and wait a short time and it should load you might want to down load the 04-18-en version in iso form the make a cd with nero under windows by running nero then under file select burn an image, that should help you create a cd that
will boot from your computer,If I can be of any additional assistance you can email me hazen.meek@verizon.net besure the dots are in or I canot get your emails,respectfully,Hazen meek

Kimberley
04-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your reply hazenmeek. The image I downloaded and burned with Nero is the same one: KNOPPIX-V3.2-2003-04-18-EN.ISO. I already set my bios to boot from the CD first. No big deal though. I can play around with Knoppix on my old computer. Thanks again.

tuxtaxdani
04-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Hi,
The problem is not Video card or any other setup in BIOS, problem is motherboard :cry: which has problems with 2.4.x kernels (2.2.x works good). I only could boot Suse kernels and the new Red hat 9.0. So Knoppix doesn't work into your pc. Only way is try to compile these kernels and make your own knoppix. (I will try that if I have time to do so ..)

Kimberley
04-24-2003, 01:06 AM
Thanks tuxtaxdani, nice to know. :) I won't waste any more time on it.

daneskildsen
05-07-2003, 01:41 PM
:shock: Well it seems like I am in the same boat!

I have an AMD Duron running at 1100 mhz.

When I put the knoppx cd in it starts but hangs immediately.

I tried failsafe mode it hangs after this line:
ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002

How do if find out what motherboard I'm running?
My graphics adapter is on-board.
Regards from Denmark!
Dan.