PDA

View Full Version : Cd Boot error-cannot unite read only media with ramdisk

TimHudson
08-25-2005, 08:35 AM
I'v Got the iso file burned as a image and every time it sticks here and says-cannot unite read only media with ramdisk-do i need to reburn or is there a fix? I also tryed booting in failsafe. thank you

nermin
08-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Hello.I have the same Problem.The message comes after some things were checked and many times there is an error and then there is the message:
Error:Cannot unite Read-Only Media and initial Ramdisk.

PS:Im german

ockham23
08-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Use cheat code "knoppix testcd" to check the cd. The test will take a few minutes. Watch the screen while the test is running. Output should be "ok" for all files.

rwcitek
08-28-2005, 04:43 AM
Use cheat code "knoppix testcd" to check the cd. The test will take a few minutes. Watch the screen while the test is running. Output should be "ok" for all files.
Unfortunately, using the 'testcd' option won't work because Knoppix tries to "unite" the filesystems long before it runs "testcd". If you boot with the debug option (e.g. failsafe debug ), you will be able to get to stage 2 but no further.

Probably the simplest thing to do is to check the md5 hash of the downloaded ISO to what's on the websites/ftp sites. Once you know you have a good image, burn the image to the CD slowly, < 8x if possible.

Let us know what you use and how it goes.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org