PDA

View Full Version : What Version Is The DVD?

6Fingers
08-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Can someone please clear something up for me? What version is the DVD? Is it 4.0 or 4.01? The splashscreens and in other places say it's 4.0, On Konqueror it says 4.01 I downloaded the English version from Kernel.Org (California, USA) Thanks

Harry Kuhman
08-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Can someone please clear something up for me? What version is the DVD? Is it 4.0 or 4.01? The splashscreens and in other places say it's 4.0, On Konqueror it says 4.01 I downloaded the English version from Kernel.Org (California, USA) Thanks

The German DVD that was distributed at Linux-TAG is 4.0. The BitTorrent tracker is calling the newer English and German 3.09 gig ISO's 4.0 as well, but they are really 4.0.1 (Klaus calls them 4.0.1, and that settles it for me). They do indeed display 4.0 on some of the artwork.

Klause has announced that there will be a fix for the bugs in 4.0.1 and that the frixed Knoppix will be called 4.0.2. I wouldn't be surprised if the artwork still showed 4.0 (actually I would be surprised if it changed).

Of course, these are all for the DVD version. The CD version is not released yet. It was to be 4.0.1, but I expect it will be 4.0.2 as well.

This is actually better than some of the older systems. I have several different versions of Knoppix 3.1, with different things on the CD! The only thing that distinguished them was the date on the ISO file, they were all version 3.1 as far as they were labeled. So adding the minor revision number is a nice touch, but I expect thet 4.0.2 will still be called 4.0 for short.