PDA

View Full Version : Writing to hard disk (and USB device) from KDE - New User

saorstat_eireann
08-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to Knoppix, although Im finding it very easy to use. I apologise if my problem seems fairly mundane to the experts!
My problem is that Im trying to save stuff from my KDE desktop to my hard drive (and USB Flash drive), and even though my hard drive (and USB Drive) is supported, I cant seem to write to it.
I have disabled the "read only" box in "Properties", "Device" and when I look at the permissions for the device, they are rwx (red write and executable if I remember correctly) for the user, group and other.
When I try copy files to the devices, I'm told that "You cannot write to a device that you dont have write permission for". Writing using the Terminal tells me that the device is "Read-Only" format, even though I have this disabled, and enabled rwx properties for all.

Is there some other thing I need to enable (or disable) in order to write to my devices?

Thanks and regards,

Jim O Doherty

ockham23
08-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Try the procedure I suggested in this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20504

Good luck!

saorstat_eireann
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
That worked perfectly, thanks a million for sorting this out! I was beginning to think I should throw the PC through the window and it might be fixed!

Jim

barek
08-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Hi. I have a similar problem.

I attached my USB key to my computer slot and 3 new hard drive icons appear on the desktop. When I double-click any icon, or when I try to mount, I get the error: "Unable to detect filesystem." Do you know how I can go about this?

Thanks.