PDA

View Full Version : Emergency!!! Please Help

kooladi
08-27-2005, 05:51 PM
hi, I have been trying to re-master Knoppix only with limited success.
I started with Knoppix 3.9 but then switched to Knoppix 3.8.2 after reading some posts here.

Now, I have tried both the methods of Re-Mastering
a) I have followed Underscore's How-to Line by Line but I face a rather strange problem . During the CD copying process on to the hard disk, the copying process just breaks at 70 % without giving any errors. I have tried this with three different burners, three versions of knoppix (3.6,3.9.3.8.2) and three different CD's also (for each version) with the same result. Anyone...pls anyone..tell me why is it happening.

b) Having failed with my eariler attempts, I tried using mlopes script for re-mastering Knoppix through a HD install. My ultimate aim is to devlop a knoppix version which is localized i.e in my mother tounge. As long as I am just removing and adding softwares, the script works fine..(thank god) but when I add the international packages for my locale and change it to my language and then try the script again . It gives me an error (which i think is because it scrolls by quite fast) missing boot.cfg. It creates an ISO which when booted just gets stuck by displaying the "LInux in use" splash screen half.

Ill really appreciate if any of you guys can help me. I havent slept for the last four days..and I have no energy left. Trust me..guys..am really desperate.. 8) :cry:

UnderScore
08-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Now, I have tried both the methods of Re-Mastering
a) I have followed Underscore's How-to Line by Line but I face a rather strange problem . During the CD copying process on to the hard disk, the copying process just breaks at 70 % without giving any errors. I have tried this with three different burners, three versions of knoppix (3.6,3.9.3.8.2) and three different CD's also (for each version) with the same result. Anyone...pls anyone..tell me why is it happening. As far I can tell, this is a bug but not a dangerous bug. It may stop at 70% but I have seen no evidence to support the idea that it is incomplete or there was data corruption. If I experience the 70% bug, I just disregard it.

b) Having failed with my eariler attempts, I tried using mlopes script for re-mastering Knoppix through a HD install. My ultimate aim is to devlop a knoppix version which is localized i.e in my mother tounge. As long as I am just removing and adding softwares, the script works fine..(thank god) but when I add the international packages for my locale and change it to my language and then try the script again . It gives me an error (which i think is because it scrolls by quite fast) missing boot.cfg. It creates an ISO which when booted just gets stuck by displaying the "LInux in use" splash screen half. I have no experience with localization or internationalization. Sorry.

kooladi
08-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply underscore.
SO, you are suggesting, that I should go ahead with the remasterng process even if it gets out of the copying process at 70%.
I think I did that with 3.9 but it created an ISO image of 45 mb :?: but then you said that 3.9 has a buggy FS, so i attributed this problem to that.

Your reply just gave me a little bit of boost.
Can I give you a suggestion. If this is a bug , can you please (and am literally begging u) include this in your How-To. You have no idea how much time it would have saved had I known this earlier. Just a suggestion.
Thanks.
Another thing, you suggest using apt-get install to install softwares, can I use dpkg to install softwares in my chroot enviornment.

tr
08-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Another thing, you suggest using apt-get install to install softwares, can I use dpkg to install softwares in my chroot enviornment.

Of course, you can use everyl Debian tool you like to use. But 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' brings your system up-to-date, so I prefer that. Yes, there are some programs as NeroLinux that you must install with 'dpkg -i package_name' because there's no Apt repository for that. So it's okay to use dpkg.

But your first copying problem... I have never faced that kind of thing, so it is perfectly strange to me. And I have made many remasterings. Have you enough space in your remastering partition?

-tapsa-

kooladi
08-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Yup, more than enough space. around 6 gb.
Even if there is no space..shouldnt it give me an error stating that.
The reason i asked abt dpkg was ..that i had a i18n-hi .deb file in my pen drive that i wanted to install. I had earlier managed to do it with dpkg. Thanks for the info.
Will keep on trying until I get this Re-Mastering done.

[Status: Four days without sleep and counting ]

kooladi
08-27-2005, 11:54 PM
I was able to generate a 512 mb sized Knoppix version. However, when I start it, It gives me an error that IPC couldnt be started and therefore hangs and then just never boots.
Have I un-installed something necessary. I installed Hindi locales and a true type hindi font to get it up and running. It does ask me in the start as to what language do I want from my system .
Aprreciate your help.

[Status : Trying Underscore's How -To again. Its 4:20 in the morning here]

tr
08-28-2005, 10:10 AM
I was able to generate a 512 mb sized Knoppix version. However, when I start it, It gives me an error that IPC couldnt be started and therefore hangs and then just never boots.
Have I un-installed something necessary. I installed Hindi locales and a true type hindi font to get it up and running. It does ask me in the start as to what language do I want from my system .
Aprreciate your help.

[Status : Trying Underscore's How -To again. Its 4:20 in the morning here]

That Undescore's How-To is good enogh to do a remastered version of Knoppix but, of course, not perfect. There's so many minor things to take care of, but anyhow, that how-to really works.

So your problem with IPC could have something to do with Sys V Init. In your case I would install it afresh:

apt-get install sysvinit
That should take care of right configuration at the same time.

That 512 MB Knoppix version... I can't undestand. I can even make larger remastered version than fits to a CD and boot it from HD:

boot: linux bootfrom=/dev/hde_partition/Remastered_Knoppix.iso
I think that 2 GB is the limit (not tried remastering DVD version yet)
First I have moved that new version to the root of that partition with mc (Midnight Commander) nad renamed it e.g. knoppix.iso. Doing like this saves efforts doing CD every time.

My hints for remastering localized versions is:
First install localepurge:

apt-get install localepurge
Then reconfigure locales:

dpkg-reconfigure locales
and keep only english and your own locale.
Then remove kde-i18n* packages:

apt-get --purge remove kde-i18n*
That removes all KDE's language package but english.
Then install your own language package:

apt-get install kde-i18n-hi
Now you have only hindish and english package.
The last thing after removing / installing programs is to run deborphan.

deborphan > packages
apt-get --purge remove `cat packages`
There's many other things as booting directly to your own language etc. that are not mentioned in UndesScore's How-To but you would like to take care of. Just reading this forum helps to get those things settled.

Don't forget to choose cleanup when doing compressed filesystem.

One thing more. I always install configure-debian package wit apt-get, too. It's much easier to do configuration with menu based program than configurating by hand. In your state I would choose base configuration from that menu.

Sometimes it could be easier to start from the beginning and make a new remastering than try to repair a damaged one, if you are not aguinted with Debian system and know how things should be done. I always keep a backup from /var/cache/apt/archive files because they are cleaned with 'apt-get clean' if cleaning compressed fs is choosed. So it is easy to do a new remastering when you have all packages downloaded before.

P.S. I'm trying to do a remastered Gnome version of Knoppix and have also got in troubles because of removing some base packages. Now everyting works but after init begins I got a modprobe warning: "Error inserting genrtc" (Device or resource busy). Sometimes it's really tricky.

Hope this helps someone with remastering.

-tapsa-

kooladi
08-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi
Thanks for your reply. I tried Underscores How-To again..and yet again failed at 70%, so I have given it up for good. I am trying my hand at remastering from Harddisk. I un-installed all KDE language packs and installed my own language pack and keymap..and my hard disk installed system runs in my language.
The steps you have mentioned, are they the same for remastering from harddisk. I mean, what do i have to do different when remastering from hard disk to select hindi as my default language and US as my default keymap.
Thanks ..you have been a great help

tr
08-28-2005, 12:58 PM
I tried Underscores How-To again..and yet again failed at 70%, so I have given it up for good. I am trying my hand at remastering from Harddisk.

---

The steps you have mentioned, are they the same for remastering from harddisk. I mean, what do i have to do different when remastering from hard disk to select hindi as my default language and US as my default keymap.

Sorry, I have never tried remastering from hard disk. Perhaps that failing at 70% has something to do with hard disk remaster. I think that doing a remastering (copying files from CD) is more safe from booted Knoppix CD. I have even installed knoppix-remaster package in my remastering, so I can start remastering directly from CD without doing any scipts directory :)

Don't forget to use DMA mode in ide drives, knoppix-dma. In my 200 GB Seagate Barracuda making isofs takes over 20 minutes without it and about 1 minute with it! It was hard to believe to be true first. so dramatical improvement!

-tapsa-

markpreston
08-28-2005, 01:48 PM
what is the size of your swap partition?

mohit.jain.india
08-28-2005, 04:55 PM
hi mark.
on behalf of Adi me replying .
the swap partition if of 1500 mb and my total hardisk space for the bootable partition i created for doing the remastering process is of 6.5 gb ..
i hope u can help me out.
in THe meanwhile can anyone tell me how to on the DMA ,,. so that i can try making New live cd in ten min or so rather than 2 hours time which its taking right now

tr
08-28-2005, 05:07 PM
can anyone tell me how to on the DMA ,,. so that i can try making New live cd in ten min or so rather than 2 hours time which its taking right now

You can start it from konsole typing knoppix-dma and choosing devices. I usually choose all of them. From launch bar you can choose KNOPPIX - Utilities - Hardisk/CD/DVD DMA Acceleration. I hope that DMA mode could be enabled automatically in ide drives - in scsi drives you can't use it.

But the time that how much DMA mode quickens remastering depends. I have an old 800 MHz Duron CPU but a new very fast ide hard drive with 8 MB cache. Remastering itself needs processing power but making isofs seems to depend more of hard disk speed.
Anyhow, making comressed fs without DMA enabled taked an hour, with it half an hour. And making isofs really is fast in DMA mode, about 1 min. and without it 20 minutes!

-tapsa-

kooladi
08-28-2005, 05:26 PM
I installed my hindi fonts by going to the control center -> Desktop ->Fonts. It shows me the fonts currently listed and there is an option of installing fonts. Since, I am doing a hard disk remastering..it was easy but the remastered version does not have those fonts though. I sucessfully did dpkg -reconfigure fontconfig.
One another thing that happened with my remastered cd. If i use the cheat code knoppix 2, and then write startx in text mode..no problems occur..but booting knoppix without any cheat code..gives an IPC error...problem and the system crashes.
Any ideas anyone..and thanks tr..u have been a great help. Any time you planning to come to india..i owe you a beer.

kooladi
08-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Got my font installed on my remastered version.
I have to boot in text mode and then write startx to make it run otherwise normal booting causes an IPC error.

Some problems :
Auto mount doesnt work anymore
The default kDE style is different

Any suggestions anyone??
and thanks tr...u have been a great help.

mohit.jain.india
08-29-2005, 05:11 PM
hi friends..
thanks for the help u giving me in remastering .
Me able to remaster Knoppix 3.8.2 and was able to run that in startx mode by using the cheat code 2 ,
However me still getting the IPC error on normal booting
And i just Got a Hint that it might be due to the Permissions setting or something.
Me still unable to figure it out properly
kindly help me out
the error generated is
'There was some error setting up inter-process communication for KDE. The message returned by the system was:' 'Could not read the network connection list. /home/entropy/DCOPserver_<hostname>_:0' 'Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!'

tr
08-29-2005, 08:55 PM
'There was some error setting up inter-process communication for KDE. The message returned by the system was:' 'Could not read the network connection list. /home/entropy/DCOPserver_<hostname>_:0' 'Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!'

Sorry, I didn't catch that IPC error had something to do with DCOPserver. That is a familiar message also to me but it has been so long ago that I have forgot what caused it.

But some things to check in general:
1. Is /etc/skel copied right to /home/knoppix?
cp -Rp /etc/skel /home/knoppix
2. Is owner and group of /home/knoppix knoppix?
chmod -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix
3. Check that you really have /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file existing.
4. Check /etc/sysconfig, is desktop kde? Is progress file existing?

Yes, this is really an autentication problem but sorry, I can't give an exact answer.

Good luck!

-tapsa-

kooladi
08-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi, Tr
Thaks for the help. Does checking out the read - write execute permission of /tmp also an issue.
plz repy

tr
08-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Thaks for the help. Does checking out the read - write execute permission of /tmp also an issue.

Yes. At least from Knoppix 3.8.1 on chmod 1777 /tmp is taken care of in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig but it is not enough. This is what I have added to the end of knoppix-autoconfig (after last "fi"):

# Setting right permissions and owners to /tmp/.ICE-unix and /tmp/.X11-unix
mkdir -p /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
chown -R root:root /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
mkdir -p /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
chown -R root:root /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
chmod 1777 /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null

I'm not a programmer and don't know if the syntax is perferctly right but it works for me :)

Please look at your /home/knoppix/.xsession-errors so you see, why /tmp/.X11-unix and /tmp/.ICE-unix should also be taken care of.

-tapsa-

kooladi
08-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Yes. At least from Knoppix 3.8.1 on chmod 1777 /tmp is taken care of in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig but it is not enough. This is what I have added to the end of knoppix-autoconfig (after last "fi"):

# Setting right permissions and owners to /tmp/.ICE-unix and /tmp/.X11-unix
mkdir -p /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
chown -R root:root /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
mkdir -p /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
chown -R root:root /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
chmod 1777 /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null

I'm not a programmer and don't know if the syntax is perferctly right but it works for me :)

Please look at your /home/knoppix/.xsession-errors so you see, why /tmp/.X11-unix and /tmp/.ICE-unix should also be taken care of.

I am sorry for asking again but is the procedure same when doing remastering from hard disk. I am using nelsons script (who is not replying to any of my posts and PM's to him ) and it gives me no option for chroot.
Pls help

kooladi
08-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Its official now...nelsons HD to LiveCD does not work..or work only with limited sucess. I have still not been albe to localize my version of Knoppix using his script and Underscore's tutorial is no good to me because I still face the 70% problem.
So, I decided to cut away with the short cuts and go for the hard way of creating a live cd. Turns out, it just appears hard. I am proud to announce I have a LIVE CD up and running localized with my language in the very first attempt.
Though, Underscore's HOW-TO was of great help (and god knows how much I have praised you reading that HOW-TO), I also took some help from Re-Mastering Wiki on this site.
My sincere thanks to all those who helped me, listened to me whine and bitch about.
I cant complete this without saying what a great help TR has been. I have been able to complete this largely because of his help.
Thanks guys.

[STATUS: Live Cd up and running. Looking for setting the local language as Default]