PDA

View Full Version : Monitor refresh rate problems

Cooner750
08-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Computer:
HP Pavilion a720n
Athlon XP+ 2.2Ghz
448MB RAM (512; but onboard video takes 64MB)

Monitor:
HP mx703

Issue:
No matter whether I specify 70 or 80Hz with vsync or xvrefresh the monitor stays at a annoying 60Hz.

Anybody know what I can do?

EDIT: Things like "Screen resize & rotate" it says it's set to "85Hz" but again the monitor is at 60Hz. The monitor's information menu says it's set to 60Hz.
Thanks in Advance! 8)

FraN
09-30-2005, 05:25 AM
I have the same problem with a Generic Monitor (Beltron), an old videocard based on SiS 6326 :(

0000:02:07.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326 (rev 0b) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS6326 GUI Accelerator
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32
Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]
Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
I/O ports at 9000 [size=128]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 1

ckamin
09-30-2005, 09:00 AM
You might try using a "noddc" cheatcode. I'm not sure if it works well in Knoppix, but it worked with other distros with mixed results, for similar issues.

FraN
09-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Ok thanxs, I will try it.
This cheatcode it's not listed in the Knoppix list. Why is that?

ckamin
10-01-2005, 02:15 AM
This cheatcode it's not listed in the Knoppix list. Why is that?
I'm not sure if it is supported in Knoppix. As I had explained, It was useful while using a different distro, but since they are similar, it might work with Knoppix. It did work for one of the earlier versions of Knoppix, so it might still be useful there. I'm not sure why it would not be listed. Could very well be that it has just been removed or forgotten about.

I'm not sure it will work for you, but it did fix a similar problem for me a while back. It has to do with the "Plug and Pray" detection standard for monitors. Info from Microsoft is available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q162737/ I am just guessing that your monitor is being set at some lower default values because it is not being correctly set/recognized by Knoppix. Disabling the DDC detection for the monitor should allow you to specify the parameters as you had attempted to do.

Good Luck! Let me know how you make out!

FraN
10-01-2005, 07:15 AM
The noddc cheatcode it seems not working...
If I discover anything else I post it here.
Thanxs for the help.

ckamin
10-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry that the "knoppix noddc" cheatcode did not help. It was just a stab in the dark since it sounded similar to something I encountered before. If I think of, or come accross anything else I will be sure to post it for you.

Maybe someone with more expertise might have some other suggestions for you to try from here.

Chmee
10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Description of the problem:

I have 3.9 v. installed on the HDD. I still haven't managed to install nVidia drivers so it has something to do with the default one. Everything was running fine but then, after some tinkering with completely different problem I had discovered the after restart the system sets resolution to 1024/786 (as it should) and refresh rate to mysterious 76 MHz. Obviously my hardware doesn't support it so it switches to 60 MHz.
I tried running dxconfig. It helped though the color depth was improper this time (too low). The real problem is that after restart, I again have 60 MHz refresh rate <doh!>. It looks as if some detection system overrides any settings I commit. At least graphics configuration files in /etc/something... are being updated during restart. Any advice?