PDA

View Full Version : module block-major-2 &cardmgr(56) help please

ls_linux
04-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Hello,
boot with Enter:
- cardmgr(56) unsupported card in socket 1
- modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2.
Does not boot, stops at a blue screen after "start up sequence initiated"

boot with failsafe:
- modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2.
Boots.

Is cardmgr(56) the graphics/video card? edit: the sound is fine

What is : [Can't locate] module block-major-2?

How to overcome these?
Please share your knowledge= help me out here.

I'm running V3.2 of 18. April.2003 on a Dell Inspiron 600m (pentium M 1.3), 2x128MB DDR PC2100, 32MB ATI Randeon 9000, XVGA+ the intel wireless card that comes with the Centrino.

Thank you.

Stephen
04-23-2003, 07:35 AM
You should look at the cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) I would suggest knoppix xmodule=radeon or even knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt, post back with the results of these efforts. Also you should remove the card (wireless) that is causing the cardmgr error until you get it to boot then sort that problem out.

04-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Thank you Stephen.
testcd: cd fine.
Randeon: the Kknoppix v3.2 does a gerat job identifing it from scratch, the card is recognized with teh correct description.

the card problem (full string):
cardmgr[56]: starting, version is 3.2.2
cardmgr[56]: unsupported card in socket 1
cardmgr[56]: product iinfo: "02Micro", SmartCard Bus reader", "V1.0"
cardmgr[56]: manfid: Oxffff, Ox0001

the card seems to bethe PCMCI: O2 Micro Inc. (1x Type 2)

Some an ide how to continie from here?
Thanks.

04-24-2003, 05:08 PM
was in hurry and made so many spelling error, sorry about that...

Thank you Stephen.
testcd: cd fine.
Randeon: the Knoppix v3.2 does a great job identifying it from scratch, the card is recognized correctly.

the card problem (full string):
cardmgr[56]: starting, version is 3.2.2
cardmgr[56]: unsupported card in socket 1
cardmgr[56]: product iinfo: "02Micro", SmartCard Bus reader", "V1.0"
cardmgr[56]: manfid: Oxffff, Ox0001

the card seems to be the PCMCI: O2 Micro Inc. (1x Type 2)

Some has an idea how to continie from here?
Thanks.

garyng
04-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Seems to be related to the PCMCIA and not about the graphic stuff. What is inside the slot ?

aay
04-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Did you know that Centrino has no support in the linux kernel? I'm surprised that your machine made it as far as it did. Intel must have designed Centrino with enough backwards compatiblity to enable some support for linux, but I'm pretty sure you won't get your wireless working.

You can check out the following article for a little more info:
http://news.com.com/2100-1006-993896.html

Please contact Intel and let them know you would like them provide Centrino support for Linux.

ls_linux
05-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Garyng: PCMCIA has a WiFi Intel [wirelles] card and a winmodem PCTEL 2304WT, not too sure which is exactly Slot 1. Both are currently unsupported [at least not without tweakening]

Aay: Yes, i got to know that the WiFi part of Centrino is unsupported, the rest (Pentium M, etc) is OK. I already contacted Intel & urged them to folow up on their pre-release promise as to render the driver open source/provide Linux support. Yet to receive an answer.
Yes it seems backward compatible quite well, the HD install boots with no problem, seems to partially ignore the PCMCIA hardware?