PDA

View Full Version : ICQ-install and installing packages in generall

ems
08-29-2005, 11:24 AM
hi, I'm a linux user for 2,5 years now but always used SUSE LINUX :oops: but now I am sick of it and made the decission to install my live-knoppix-cd (3.9) on my hdd. how I expected I have a few problems ^^:
I just have the CDversion of knoppix and not the DVD so I miss some software. especially my icq-client. on suse I used to have licq and sim-icq, but I couldn't install either of them. sim-icq couldn't be installed because of missing qt-packages and licq was installed succesfully but doesn't want to start.
how do I install programs/packages propery? on SUSE I was used to make use of f**** YaST2 and it was as easy as going to the toilet. I read that knoppix is like debian when installed but how do I load packages
e.g.: sim icq: http://sim-icq.sourceforge.net/de/download.shtml
can someone please help me at the first steps? or is it recommended to install the 'real' debian instead of knoppix?

fingers99
08-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Connect to the internet. Open a terminal. Do the following:

type:

su
(prompt for root password)
apt-get update && apt get install synaptic && exit

When you're back to the user prompt, you'll find synaptic under System in the K menu. It's a gui front end to apt-get which is the Debian package manager. Now, pop it open and use the search tool to find an icq client.

The rest is pretty straightforward.

ems
08-30-2005, 11:10 PM
thanks! helped me very much ;)
its a very good package system!