PDA

View Full Version : "bootfrom=" cheatcode with 4.0 dvd ISO image?

star_gazer09
08-30-2005, 03:48 PM
I used an an ISO image on hard disk to boot 3.7 and 3.9 with the "bootfrom=" cheat code. I have an ISO image of 4.0 on my disk now. I can boot the same image from a DVD fine, but when I try to boot from the image on the hard disk, I get a message telling me that there are two images there, and it fails back tro the DVD for boot.

After poking around a bit, I see there is /cdrom/KNOPPIX and /cdrom/KNOPPIX2 on the dvd.

Any one have a way to make the "bootfrom=" cheatcode work with the DVD ISO image?

Thanks
Star Gazer

ruymbeke
08-30-2005, 07:04 PM
I used an an ISO image on hard disk to boot 3.7 and 3.9 with the "bootfrom=" cheat code. I have an ISO image of 4.0 on my disk now. I can boot the same image from a DVD fine, but when I try to boot from the image on the hard disk, I get a message telling me that there are two images there, and it fails back tro the DVD for boot.
After poking around a bit, I see there is /cdrom/KNOPPIX and /cdrom/KNOPPIX2 on the dvd.
Any one have a way to make the "bootfrom=" cheatcode work with the DVD ISO image?
Thanks, Star Gazer
Done, look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&start=250
Please let me know if it works for you as well.
Best Regards,
Gilles

star_gazer09
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
I checked that thread, and it seemed to concentrate on using grub to boot an image from a hard disk without using the DVD rom. I'm just trying to boot the image using the dvd in the drive as I had before.

If I read the thread correctly, in order to do that I'd have to remaster the image and change the init script?

Sorry, I've mostly been a programmer and user, not making custom installs.

Thanks for the reference,
sg9