PDA

View Full Version : Two CDROMs and both show Knoppix CD Contents

sazeile
08-30-2005, 09:01 PM
I have an external Plextor PX-708UF DVD writer connected via Fireware. When I boot from Knoppix 3.9 on the internal CD drive, Knoppix recognizes both drives. One is labeled cdrom and the other is cdrom1. However, when I open either drive it shows the directory contents of the Knoppix CD. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not there is a disc in the external DVD writer. Any ideas?

eon
09-01-2005, 03:03 AM
Seems to me that it's seeing the internal drive only but providing two different desktop icons.
What happens if you unplug the FW drive? You should be able to hot plug-unplug and then HAL might pick up
the external. NOTE: You probably still want to unmount cdrom1 to be safe.

sazeile
09-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Eon,

Thanks for the reply. I did some experiments with a couple of different versions of Knoppix. Here's the results:

Knoppix 3.9

Video - Thinks monitor is a Compaq 1445 instead of a 7500 but works OK.
USB Hard Drives - Works OK.
USB Printer - Does Not Detect.
USB Scanner - Works OK.
FW CD/DVD - Detects and creats desktop icon but is pointed to internal drive with Knoppix disk.
USB Hot Plug/Unplug - Does Not Work.
FW Hot Plug/Unplug - Does Not Work.

Knoppix 3.4 from the "Knoppix Hacks" book

Video - Requires cheatcode fb1024x768 to work
USB Hard Drives - Works OK
USB Printer - Works OK
USB Scanner - Works OK
FW CD/DVD - Work OK
USB Hot Plug/Unplug - Does Not Work
FW Hot Plug/Unplug - Does Not Work

I guess the best thing for me is to stay with 3.4 and live with the fb1024x768 cheatcode.
Kind of surprised 3.9 isn't better than 3.4 in this regard.

eon
09-03-2005, 05:04 AM
Eon,

Thanks for the reply. I did some experiments with a couple of different versions of Knoppix. Here's the results:

Knoppix 3.9

Video - Thinks monitor is a Compaq 1445 instead of a 7500 but works OK.
USB Hard Drives - Works OK.
USB Printer - Does Not Detect.
USB Scanner - Works OK.
FW CD/DVD - Detects and creats desktop icon but is pointed to internal drive with Knoppix disk.
USB Hot Plug/Unplug - Does Not Work.
FW Hot Plug/Unplug - Does Not Work.

Knoppix 3.4 from the "Knoppix Hacks" book

Video - Requires cheatcode fb1024x768 to work
USB Hard Drives - Works OK
USB Printer - Works OK
USB Scanner - Works OK
FW CD/DVD - Work OK
USB Hot Plug/Unplug - Does Not Work
FW Hot Plug/Unplug - Does Not Work

I guess the best thing for me is to stay with 3.4 and live with the fb1024x768 cheatcode.
Kind of surprised 3.9 isn't better than 3.4 in this regard.

You might want to try 3.7 and see how that works, if you can get it. Also 4.0 is out,but I haven't tried it. If your looking at staying with a debian based distro you could also give kanotix and/or ubuntu a try. And, I hesitate to recommend it because of it's commercial nature but xandros does a good job of hardware detection. Good luck!