PDA

View Full Version : Tried pppoeconf but didn't work

jacksonon
08-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey everyone,

I currently have a DSL connection and tried to configure it using pppoeconf, yet when I did, I couldn't connect to the internet at all. I know it is not an issue with my modem since it works in Kanotix and Ubuntu.

The Knoppix I used was 4.0 (the DVD version).

Anyone got any ideas as to why it doesn't work? I'd love to use 4.0 since it's so feature rich, but unfortunetly I can't even connect to the internet.

tdjokic
08-31-2005, 07:20 PM
I don´t have experience with 4.0, but maybe nodhcp will help (at the begining). Kanotix use network card with no IP adress at all, neither DHCP nor Static. How it does - not know, but this is it. Do ifconfig in terminal (as root) and you will see something like this:

eth0 Encapsulamento do Link: Ethernet Endereço de HW 00:50:8D:66:BA:EE
endereço inet6: fe80::250:8dff:fe66:baee/64 Escopo:Link
UP BROADCASTRUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Métrica:1
RX packets:1656 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1753 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
colisões:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1271141 (1.2 MiB) TX bytes:274410 (267.9 KiB)
IRQ:11 Endereço de E/S:0xe000

This is eth0 w/o IP adress. (Language here is portuguese, distribution is brazilian Kurumin, based on Knoppix & Kanotix)

Harry Kuhman
08-31-2005, 07:49 PM
I currently have a DSL connection and tried to configure it using pppoeconf, yet when I did,...
You don't use a router, do you? While you should be able to configure Knoppix to work without one, this and many other problems will just go away if you have a router hooked to the DSL modem and you connect to that. You will just boot and be on the Internet, no Knoppix setup needed at all. And you will have a much safer connection. Windows is particularly vulnerable to attacks if you are on the Internet without the hardware filewall a router offers (it has been reported that the average system without a hardware fireewall is compromised within 4 minutes of being placed on a high speed connection!) but this is a growing threat for Linux too.

Routers are dirt cheap now. My little wired Linksys was about $150 when it first came oyt, I paid over $100 for it, but you can now buy many routers for $10 or less after rebate, some with wireless capability. CompUSA even had one for $2.99 this week!

tdjokic
09-01-2005, 01:07 AM
since it works in Kanotix and Ubuntu.... I don´t know nothing about Ubuntu. Kanotix setup network card automagicaly in no IP adrress mode, Kurumin asks during installation if I want to configure network and I choose ¨no¨ so it did same thing as Kanotix and my conection to ADSL through simple Ethernet modem and 1 network card works OK. This is why I sugest ¨nodhcp¨ cheat code. Maybe this is ¨poor man conection¨ - w/o router, and has some disadvantages, but it is good as ¨first aid¨.

jacksonon
09-01-2005, 02:14 AM
OK, I'll definetly try out nodhcp.

And no, I don't use a router.

jacksonon
09-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks a lot guys, I'm posting this in Knoppix as we speak.

You've all been really helpful.