PDA

View Full Version : Make Knoppix.en under 650 mb...

jimbo70
04-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Well, non-English language support (French, Spanish, German, Italian..) is about 100 megs.

Why don't you save this precious space by removing these packages?

This could end in a much smaller iso, so we can all save bandwidth.

Or, at least, this space could be used in a more useful way with other packages!

Just my 2 cents..

Stephen
04-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Well, non-English language support (French, Spanish, German, Italian..) is about 100 megs.

Why don't you save this precious space by removing these packages?

This could end in a much smaller iso, so we can all save bandwidth.

Or, at least, this space could be used in a more useful way with other packages!

Just my 2 cents..

Well could not the French, Italian, etc.. users says the same thing about other language support. You would end up with as many versions as there were languages supported and I can just bet that would be real fun to try and maintain.

VeeDubb
04-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Personaly, I think that multiple ISO's is a great idea. I don't think it hould be taken to extremes with dozens and dozens of versions, but it makes sense to have "single language" versions. Especialy in light of the fact that it takes up so much room on the CD.

I think what you save on bandwidth would more than make up for what you spend on server space.

jimbo70
04-23-2003, 08:00 PM
[quote=jimbo70]Well, non-English language support (French, Spanish, German, Italian..) is about 100 megs.
Well could not the French, Italian, etc.. users says the same thing about other language support. You would end up with as many versions as there were languages supported and I can just bet that would be real fun to try and maintain.
You're right,this would be a mess, but I think it's already a mess to keep all the present languages up to date with every package update, so a simplified and lighter Knoppix would useful anyway.
At least, the so called .en Knoppix should be named International Knoppix or whatever, given the deep local language support ;)
To clarify, I'm Italian, but I'd be more than happy to trade an english only release with a smaller iso.

Stephen
04-23-2003, 08:43 PM
I think it's already a mess to keep all the present languages up to date with every package update.
Knoppix uses the international language support so if the module for the language is present and the application supports using it then there are no problems. Where you do run into problems is when you install to HD and every time you install a program if it has to generate the locales it takes a while and sometimes there are errors in the locale files.

At least, the so called .en Knoppix should be named International Knoppix or whatever, given the deep local language support ;)

You are right.

To clarify, I'm Italian, but I'd be more than happy to trade an english only release with a smaller iso.

I sort of had that figured out from the location. :wink:

zzyzx
04-23-2003, 10:58 PM
My dream would be a knoppix bonus cd for hd installs. It would be very easy to do. Just go into the cd directory and type dpkg -i *.deb , done everything installed. I already made a small one but I am on dialup. If I get access to broadband for a couple days I'll make a good one!!!

mplayer
visualboyadvance
english dictionary
mencoder
filmgimp
just about everything there is to install and if you run out of room make another.