PDA

View Full Version : dosemu + QBASIC, WINE + VB6?

A. Jorge Garcia
12-28-2002, 03:54 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had any success using WINE for anything? Everytime I try to use it, it crashes! I've tried a number of DOS and Windoze programs from QBASIC.exe to VB.exe and AOL.exe, no dice!

If I could get those two running, I would never need a Windoze install again at work (QBASIC and VB are the only non linux apps I need) or at home (the wife needs AOL...).

BTW, for some reason, I can surf the web, do ftp even play with XCHAT from the KNOPPIX CD, but whenever I try aol anywhere (www.aol.com) I get nowhere! It just hangs and doesn't even load the page. Anyone have experience with this?

Tech2k
12-28-2002, 04:22 PM
No wine for me as I have not run any windowze in well over a year.Just wanted to drop you a quick post and be sure you know about the linux BASIC pkg called bwbasic.

BTW does she have to have aol??They are as bad as M$,full of script kiddies and account hacks,need special software to connect,bug you to death,use lots of system resources by forcing you to keep windows open you dont need and take over your box almost like a virus.If she just has to have aol for the buddy chat (and your aol is dialup like mine was) consider going wirh your local phone company for the isp and then run GAIM on linux which will let her make a new screename and chat with all her aol friends online.

Tony
12-28-2002, 06:36 PM
anything to do with wine try http://frankscorner.org best place to see what does work with wine and crossover. even recommended by winehq.

12-29-2002, 02:22 AM
I'm using QBASIC and VB6 in an intro to programming course. Is bwbasic like QBASIC or VB6? Sounds like gwbasic....

A. Jorge Garcia
05-21-2003, 04:06 AM
How about yabasic and hbasic?

BTW, anyone have any luck running qbasic with dosemu or vb6 with wine?

TIA,

oracle
07-02-2003, 04:05 AM
I know this thread seems to have finished a while ago, but I am a QB fan and regular in QBasic forums, and while doing a search I happened to stumble across this forum, so here goes...

I changed to Linux (Debian, for business reasons) a while ago, but was sick of having to reboot into Windows to "play" with QBasic. Someone suggested DOSEMU, and I successfully installed QBasic by using DOSEMU with FREEDOS. There are still problems - the SCREEN 12, 13 and other VGA graphic modes cannot be set in full screen, and it is slower than normal DOS, but it does work. I have also tried WINE and have never got it to work properly.

To get it to work, go to the dosemu (http://www.dosemu.org/) and freedos (http://www.freedos.org/) sites and look around for a quick setup option. If anyone is interested, I'll look for it but if not I won't.

gill1109
07-11-2003, 04:20 PM
if anyone did succeed to make wine run it would be nice to hear how they did it ... i am a newbie, just installed knoppix, first think i tried to play with was wine. but no luck so far.

oracle
07-11-2003, 10:13 PM
What, you've just changed to linux and you already want Windows back? :lol:

If you want dos-based, get DOSEMU.

photolnx
07-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Have not seen a mention of Rapid-Q here... it has Linux and Windows versions

gill1109
07-11-2003, 11:19 PM
No i don't want windoze back! i'm mostly a mac user so i had windows how God meant them to be, long long before microsoft came up with their feeble imitation. but i'm interested to see how wine is getting on.

i think that a succesful wine will be a great push for linux. and also a great push for knoppix. of course people will soon discover they don't want to run their windoze programs anyway [except perhaps for KaZaa Lite, and the Dutch Tax Authorities windoze only income taxreturn program, and the Dutch giro banking system] but the idea that they CAN, will take away a major threshhold.

still i'd like to see a dummies guide to running wine on the knoppix cd.

in the meantime i got wordpad running up to the point where i want to save a file, and it can't find Desktop. So it is probably just a question of carefully studying how to configure the beast. And I'd rather do this without having to learn much about Windoze...

oracle
07-12-2003, 12:44 AM
Have not seen a mention of Rapid-Q here... it has Linux and Windows versions

Hmm, I've never used rapidQ. I'm just into QBasic, as a challenge and for fun. Though there are actually people in the world who still use QBasic commercially :shock: