PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix DVD 4.0 Boot Issues

JesusFreak
09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
I've downloaded the dvd version and burned it to dvd. Now my problem is getting it to boot. can someone help? Thanks!

JesusFreak
09-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I apologize for my question being so vague. I am a newbie at knoppix. I got the cd to work ver. 3.9. As far as the dvd goes, my bios doesn't give me an option to make the dvd boot first. I've read a lot of the other posts regarding this issue. I also tried the booting from the floppy disk fist. For some reason it doesn't work.

Harry Kuhman
09-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Try reading about Smart Boot Manager in the downloading FAQ. It got the KNoppix DVD to boot for me on one system where the bios would not (and in my case the DVD drive was even the master, not clear on what my bios's poblem was with it).

JesusFreak
09-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks for your reply. I downloaded smart boot manager- sbminst.exe along with the other needed file cwsdpmi.exe and put it on a floppy disk. My next issue when I reboot the computer is that I can't get smart reboot manager to load or boot up. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do next. Will y ou Please help me? Thanks for your kindness!!!

Harry Kuhman
09-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks for your reply. I downloaded smart boot manager- sbminst.exe along with the other needed file cwsdpmi.exe and put it on a floppy disk. My next issue when I reboot the computer is that I can't get smart reboot manager to load or boot up. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do next. Will y ou Please help me? Thanks for your kindness!!!
1) I would prefer that any such message as this be posted in the appropriate forum, not sent as a private message. The response would likely help others too.

2) You're not the only one to have made this error. A search of the forums for recent discussion of SBM or Smart Boot Manager would have found the answer without waiting.

3) You don't just put the file (or files) on a floppy, smbinst stands for SABM Installer, you run it to make a floppy into a SBM floppy, or to install SBM to your master boot record, which makes things far easier, since you don't even need a floppy.

4) This, and most other questions about downloading and booting, is covered in the Downloading faq, in the wiki, reached by following the Docomentation link near the top of this page. If there are things omited from the Downloading faq, let us now and we'll update it, or update it yourself as you find the answers.

Harry Kuhman
09-02-2005, 11:43 PM
P.S. - The wiki suffered a massive attack by a spammer early today. We are workig to rollback things. I thought that was all done, but the downloading faq is still missig. With any luck it will be back shortly.