PDA

View Full Version : Can't get minicom working on Thinkpad A30 as serial console

almartino
09-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi all,

I want to use an IBM Thinkpad A30 as a console terminal for other UNIX servers. For that, I have a KNOPPIX 3.6 bootable CD.

After connecting the A30 by serial cable to an AIX machine and booting from CD, I can't get a login session.
I'm trying it with minicom, no login appears from the connected UNIX.

The serial port on the AIX node is enabled for logins and set to 19200, 8N1, XON/XOFF.
When I start Windows on the A30 and use Hyperterminal, it works as expected, I can connect (through COM1) an login to the UNIX machine without troubles. So the setup on the AIX side seems to be ok.

On the KNOPPIX side, I'm not really sure, if the serial port is really enabled with KNOPPIX 3.6 from CD boot.
"dmesg |grep tty" doesn't show anything.

As I can see in /dev, KNOPPIX has generated tty devices. But I'm not sure which to select for the communication over the COM1 port of the A30 (ttyS0, tty1, psaux, console, ......).

Any tips?

Thanks and Regards
Martin

PsaltyDS
02-10-2006, 05:32 PM
The equivelent ports are:

COM1 = /dev/ttyS0
COM2 = /dev/ttyS1

Hope that helps.

I'm having a different issue...

Minicom comes up fine, but color ANSI stuff that works perfectly in HyperTerminal is just ASCI garbage on mincom. I refuse to believe there is no equivelent functionality to HyperTerminal in KNOPPIX. Please tell me where it is.

Thank you.