PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Newbie Questions

DDaland
09-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi all!
Having been curious about Knoppix for a bit- Finally took the plunge and installed a copy of 3.6 to a spare HD. Overall, I'm interested in it- but have a few thoughts and questions.
My hardware-
AMD 3000 64
MSI Neo FIS2R Mb
1 gb Memory
Integrated SB 5.1 sound
ATI Radeon 9600 series 256 mb memory

1st question- How can you install devices not detected? In particular my integrated Gigabyte Network is not detected. Realtek shows linux drivers- but I'm "bumfuzzled" on how you actually install them.
2. I'm stuck in the middle of nowhrere using dialup. When I go to set up my modem, I can only find one device that shows that the modem (a lucent chipset)is ready- but when I query it, it sends out the commands- but shows no responses. When I try to dial up- sticks in the "initailizing" stage. I've downloaded the "scanmodem" tool, but have yet to figure out how to use it yet

kooladi
09-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I may be wrong, but you can install softwares either through command line or through KPackage.
Look for the command apt-get install <package name> or dpkg -i <package name> from the command line, or just write kpackage on the Run command textbox and it opens up a windows Add/Remove like Interface. However, you will have to search for your .deb package from the net first..or use apt command.

Harry Kuhman
09-04-2005, 10:05 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574