PDA

View Full Version : Forcing recognition

asearle
09-04-2005, 03:42 PM
I needed to change my network card (under Knoppix 3.8.2) and found that, when I had installed the new card, Knoppix recognised it no-problem when I booted with the CD but when I booted normally (from Hard Disk) and tried to configure the card, the system replied `no supported cards found`.

This is strange.

So how can I flush out the old configuration and make Knoppix recognise the new card?

Any tips would be a great help.

Regards,
Alan Searle.

Harry Kuhman
09-04-2005, 09:51 PM
... Knoppix recognised it no-problem when I booted with the CD but when I booted normally (from Hard Disk) and tried to configure the card, the system replied `no supported cards found`.

This is strange..
No, this is completely normal, the only strange thing is calling a Knoppix boot from hard disk "normal".

This is a hard disk install problem, not a network problem, OK, it's a network problem too, but it's much more a hard disk install problem, it is more applicable to hard disk install in the same way that it is more specificaly a fit there than in the hardware and bootIng section, even though it is seen after booting and does involve the use of some hardware.

As to being strange, network problems have been posted about in the hard disk install section since the second post in that forum back in 2002.
(http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25) They don't seem to ever get fixed. Networks are often reported as working fine from CD but failing after a hard disk install. It seems strange to me that you would choose to install Knoppix, which was designed for use on the CD, and not even know this.

In you case it might not even be as bad as some of the networking stopped working problems. Since it only is an issue after you installed a new card, it may well be that the type of install that you elected to do isn't doing a hardware scan on each boot and finding the new card. Beyond that I can't talk you through a fix, as a hardware install of Knoppix rather than Debian is against my religion.

I will move this post to the hard disk install forum for you, the people there are much more likely to be able to talk you through the fix. The link you get of responses to your thread, including this one, will still let you locate the moved article.

asearle
09-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the tips and, yes, I took a look at what was suggested:

in ...

/etc/network/interfaces

... I added ...

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

But the (changed) network card was still not recognised by the hard disk install (only by the CD boot).

It would be an easy job for me to quickly reinstall the whole thing (then it should work) but I would much rather find out how to trouble-shoot this problem. And I'm sure that would be interesting for other forum members too.

Any other tips on how to get the OS to scan for new hardward would be very helpful.

Regards,
Alan Searle

PS: The card appears OK in the Info-Center