PDA

View Full Version : Several questions

theARE
04-23-2003, 08:58 PM
I finally got round to picking up a second HD and installing Knoppix on to it, overall it went ok but I have a few questions if anyone could help:

1. Sound: The sound worked OK when booting from the CD but it dosent work after installation. I tried "alsa" as a boot option, but nothing.

2. Mounting other partitions: when running from the CD i could access partitions on the other HD from the desktop icons, but not from /mnt/hd**
Since doing HD install i cant get anything, their all listed, but they come up empty (there not, im typing this from windows) i tried mount /dev/hda1 and /mnt/hda1 etc but it says that they dont exsist.

3. On the first HD i have an installation of Mandrake and it uses LILO as a the boot manager. How do I add Knoppix as an option to this installation of LILO?

Can anyone help me out on any of these?

Thanks in advanced

VeeDubb
04-23-2003, 09:11 PM
I don't personaly know the answers to these questions, but let me point you in the right direction.

Look up.

No, not that high, just to the top of the web page.

There's a "search" box on the top right. every one of your questions has been answered, most of them recently.

mourner
04-23-2003, 09:54 PM
2. Mounting other partitions: when running from the CD i could access partitions on the other HD from the desktop icons, but not from /mnt/hd**
Since doing HD install i cant get anything, their all listed, but they come up empty (there not, im typing this from windows) i tried mount /dev/hda1 and /mnt/hda1 etc but it says that they dont exsist.

Apart from /swap, /root, /cdrom and /floppy, Knoppix (or knx-hdinstall) writes all partitions found into /etc/fstab commented. Just uncommenting them should do the trick. After that you are able to mount them manually from commandline, too. If you know their file system types, you could alternatively try the following example and see if it works. Remember to replace "file_system_type" and "hd**" accordingly!

# mkdir -p /mount/point
# mount -t file_system_type /dev/hd** /mount/point
# ls -l /mount/point

3. On the first HD i have an installation of Mandrake and it uses LILO as a the boot manager. How do I add Knoppix as an option to this installation of LILO?

You have to boot into Mandrake and add a Knoppix entry to /etc/lilo.conf. Remember to uncomment the "prompt" and "timeout" options, else lilo will always boot into the first image instantly. Pay attention to the parameters given to the Knoppix kernel at the boot prompt, too. Then run "lilo -t" to test your config and "lilo" to install, if everything seems to be ok. Maybe you should have a closer look at the man pages of lilo.conf - it is always a good idea to read the docs. :)
Unfortunately I cannot help in detail since I'm running grub.

Stephen
04-23-2003, 10:35 PM
1. Sound: The sound worked OK when booting from the CD but it dosent work after installation. I tried "alsa" as a boot option, but nothing.
Have you added yourself to the audio group in a root console adduser < user name > audio. BTW you might want to add yourself to the cdrom and floppy groups as well.

Already answered above.

Add the lines:

other=/dev/hd??
label=Knoppix

To lilo.conf where ?? = drive letter and partition number. ie /dev/hdb if you installed lilo during the install of knoppix to the MBR of hdb or /dev/hdb1 if you just installed lilo to the partition itself.

theARE
04-24-2003, 08:38 PM
thanks for all the help so far. I solved that mounting problem so thats sorted . I'm reading up on Lilo and I think I'll be able to get that.

The only problem left is the sound. I ran sndconfig and it detected my soundcard and it said

A PCI sound card was found in your
system. The details are:
Model: Intel Corporation|82820
820 (Camino 2) AC97 Audio

It saved a file and asked If I wanted to test the sound. The sound worked great. So far so good.
Rebooted, but no sound again.

Tried sndconfig again, but now after finding the soundcard as above it says

Error

An error occurred while writing
the config file.

and exits.

I dont know what to do next. I think that the only problem is that it's not loading the right sound module at startup, but how do I get the system to load it?

Thanks again for the help

Stephen
04-24-2003, 08:56 PM
I dont know what to do next. I think that the only problem is that it's not loading the right sound module at startup, but how do I get the system to load it?

What does the output of lsmod tell you is the module for the sound card loaded?
BTW did you add yourself to the audio group if the sound is only working for you as root when you got it going then this is the problem.

Also why are you re-booting to see if the sound is still working?

theARE
04-24-2003, 09:47 PM
yeah, I added my self to sound, but sound dosent work under root either, so it's not that.
The error that comes up when KDE starts is:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I tried lsmod like you suggested, and this is what I get:

# lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
soundcore 3364 0 (autoclean)
parport_pc 24776 1 (autoclean)
lp 7492 0 (autoclean)
parport 22496 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
autofs4 8724 0 (unused)
efs 7172 0 (unused)
hfs 74784 0 (unused)
minix 18888 0 (unused)
ntfs 50784 0 (unused)
xfs 511026 0 (unused)
reiserfs 161232 0 (unused)
nls_iso8859-1 2844 0 (unused)
nls_cp437 4348 0 (unused)
agpgart 34720 0 (unused)
serial 51844 0
printer 7680 0
usb-uhci 21804 0 (unused)
usbcore 57088 0 [printer usb-uhci]
apm 9612 1
rtc 6876 0
ext3 62688 1
jbd 45300 1 [ext3]

I just had a look and when I do lsmod in Mandrake on the other HD the sound parts are:
snd-pcm-oss 37412 0
snd-mixer-oss 10904 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-intel8x0 16644 0
snd-mpu401-uart 2656 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi 12064 0 [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device 3744 0 [snd-rawmidi]
snd-pcm 54976 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer 9672 0 [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec 27848 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd 28332 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec]
soundcore 3524 3 [snd]

So obviously what I need to do is get knoppix to find and load it's version of these modules.

Any idea how?

Thanks again

Stephen
04-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Try chmod +x /dev/dsp to make the /dev/dsp executable.

theARE
04-25-2003, 09:03 PM
that didnt, work but I have solved it. On a hunch I did a fresh install, but this time I didnt use ALSA when booting from the CD. After reinstalling the sound works fine, I'v set up the mounting and got my ADSL modem working.

Yet to try and add knoppix to Mandrakes LILO, but that can wait for now.

Thanks for all your help.

Stephen
04-25-2003, 09:28 PM
You're welcome.