PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4.0 Swap File in NTFS

thain
09-04-2005, 08:15 PM
I've been searching for this and can't find anything. I'm getting ready to reformat and reinstall, but I thought I would ask first.

My main OS is Windows XP Professional because several of our support applications are Windows based, but I've been wanting to learn how to use Linux for a while, and I figured Knoppix was a very good place to start. The problem is, being a Live-DVD, Knoppix doesn't automatically save settings. I'm using it on a laptop with only one partition (I've also got a Dell, which my wife uses, and the tiny 30 MB partition that Dell puts on all their computers negates this issue), and it tends to start running slower after using it for a while. I'd like to create a swapfile, and the Swap File Configuration utility advises using the included utility to create a blank image in Windows.

I've got the blank image created (1.5 GB), but, being new to Linux, I don't know how to get this image set up. I've tried to mount it to hdc1, but the the Swap File Configuration util doesn't recognize it.

Should I make the swap file smaller? I'd like to get this configured so that I have a Linux environment I can boot into at any time without reconfiguring or rebooting after too many programs are run.

Any suggestions?