PDA

View Full Version : knoppix + wikipedia

pizzathief
09-05-2005, 03:51 PM
I've just managed to make a knoppix dvd iso that holds the entire current database of wikipedia. mediawiki is on there , of course (had to comment out any lines that updated , deleted or inserted any thing , due to the R/o status of the disk) , along with apache and mysql starting on boot to handle requests. And it all works fine straight from boot. Realistically Needs about 512M ram to work well , due to the 300M wikipedia DB index file.

the iso is about 2.6G , so there's enough room for more stuff on there , I'm just not sure what yet. More wikipedia language entries , photos, some of the other wiki databases.

anyone got any ideas what I should do with it?

ruymbeke
09-05-2005, 08:39 PM
I've just managed to make a knoppix dvd iso that holds the entire current database of wikipedia. mediawiki is on there , of course (had to comment out any lines that updated , deleted or inserted any thing , due to the R/o status of the disk) , along with apache and mysql starting on boot to handle requests. And it all works fine straight from boot. Realistically Needs about 512M ram to work well , due to the 300M wikipedia DB index file. the iso is about 2.6G , so there's enough room for more stuff on there , I'm just not sure what yet. More wikipedia language entries , photos, some of the other wiki databases.
anyone got any ideas what I should do with it?
Hello,
Which version of knoppix are you using as a base ?
I would be happy to try it. How should I proceed to download it ?
Nice Job. Best Regards, Gilles

pizzathief
09-05-2005, 10:56 PM
well , I only just finished making it , I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet. And if I did , it would take ages , It takes 6 hours to upload a 700M iso image using my internet connection at the moment.

ruymbeke
09-05-2005, 11:07 PM
well , I only just finished making it , I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet. And if I did , it would take ages , It takes 6 hours to upload a 700M iso image using my internet connection at the moment.
I understand. You could seed it as a bittorrent and limit your upload bandwitdth. My 2 cents, Gilles

pizzathief
09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm working on finding a place where I can upload the disk to , so others can have a look . No idea when It will be downloadable , so for the moment I'mm make the disk better by sticking some graphic files on it , trying to reduce the memory requirements. stuff like that.

Ghandalfar
09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
I can host it for you, drop me a line by jure@livecd.net