PDA

View Full Version : poor mans install for knoppix 3.3

metavoid
09-05-2005, 09:16 PM
I have a mini-pc with a cfcard (sitting on hdc).
Since its only 512mb, I want to boot off the iso of a miniknoppix based on version 3.3.
The iso is 200MB so plenty of space.

It seems however, that the doc have been updated and I can no longer find the info for
version 3.3 Only for 3.4 and more.

So my questions are: Is there still doc for version 3.3?

Also, ( a bit more hardcore)

Can I haved the "boot" and the "KNOPPIX" folders be on the same partition ?

I have figured out what to add to lilo.conf and it starts to boot but cannot
find the rest of the system.
Seems the boot folder works, but the ISO (KNOPPIX) is not working.

So maybe its because its on the same partition?
I understand that the partition having the KNOPPIX file will be read-only.

Running of an ISO, to disable hw detection everytime, I can use the "home" feature or
will I have to remaster it to stop the hw detection?

CrashedAgain
09-06-2005, 03:43 PM
There is some info on doing a poorman's install using knoppix 3.3 here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Remaster_From_Hd_Install_HowTo
It should work with your mini provided that your mini iso will run like a normal 3.3 iso.
There is no reason that the KNOPPIX iso and the boot cannot be on the same partition.
Setting a 'save configuration' file should bypass some of the autodetection but I don't think there is any way to disable it all unless you modify the startup scripts which would mean a remaster & would also leave you with the problem of no hardware setup at all. You could try adding 'failsafe' to the 'append=' line in lilo.conf which would startup in failsafe mode using only a minimum of auto setup.

metavoid
09-07-2005, 08:40 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Remaster_From_Hd_Install_HowTo

Jubii. It worked. :) Having boot the boot and knoppix on same partiion is ok. (as you said)

I tried to create a new ISO from my harddisk install and even that it reported
no errors during the process, it does not start when using it as replacement
for the one that works. It just stop during boot. Im not a remaster master, i guess.

You could try adding 'failsafe' to the 'append=' line in lilo.conf which would startup in failsafe mode using only a minimum of auto setup.

Ahh. That was a good suggestion. Ill try that.
The save config does reduce it a bit but not as much as I had hoped.

Thanks for you time.[/quote]