PDA

View Full Version : Local file?

Jorge Martínez
09-05-2005, 10:48 PM
What is a local file?

Say I save on disk a page that I have browsed with Konqueror. If I later try to view this page from the file with Konqueror, I'm advised that it accepts only local files, and I can't open it.

How do I save a page to be recognized as a local file?

maxIT
09-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Are you trying to browse offline? Forget it, either firefox and konqueror makes it in a very crappy way. I would consider this maybe the only thing that windows IE make better than linux browsers :cry:

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2005, 07:17 AM
While I'm not advocating off-line browsing, you can certainly save html files and then view them with just about any browser under Knoppix (assuming, of course, that you are not trying to save to an NTFS partition with Linux). The initial html pages that show in Konqueror are one clear example of this, they can be found on the Knoppix CD or DVD in the KNOPPIX directory. I'm unclear on what your "local file" error is.

Jorge Martínez
09-06-2005, 03:10 PM
I found out now that if I copy the html file to the desktop, then Konqueror opens it easily.

So the position is that Konqueror can't open a file it created itself unless it is copied into the desktop. This looks as a weak point to me.

I save the files into windows partitions. This ability is a very strong point to me.

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
So the position is that Konqueror can't open a file it created itself unless it is copied into the desktop. This looks as a weak point to me.

I save the files into windows partitions. This ability is a very strong point to me.
As far as I know, Konqueror can open a file that it saves just fine. I just don't recommend off-line browsing of full websites, expecting link and images and the rest to be saved properly. But download a html file, save it, open it later, if there is a problem I'm unaware of it.

I hope when you save your html to "windows partitions" that either you are running Windows at that moment or they are FAT partitions, Never write to NTFS partitions with Knoppix.

Jorge Martínez
09-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Harry Kuhman said:

As far as I know, Konqueror can open a file that it saves just fine. I just don't recommend off-line browsing of full websites, expecting link and images and the rest to be saved properly. But download a html file, save it, open it later, if there is a problem I'm unaware of it.

I'm not aiming at off-line browsing. I just saved a single html file, namely the Wget Manual, that I need for reference, and could not open it with Konqueror unless I copy it to the desktop. Does it make it a "local file"? Am I doing something wrong?

He further said:

I hope when you save your html to "windows partitions" that either you are running Windows at that moment or they are FAT partitions, Never write to NTFS partitions with Knoppix.

They are FAT partitions. I have no NTFS partitions as I mistrust this system. I'm not aware about the simultaneous use of Windows and Knoppix. If this is possible I certainly would like to know how it is done.
I find it a very strong feature of Knoppix that it understands Windows files and can write in Windows partitions. I'm trying to migrate away from Windows and Knoppix looks as a good prospect for this purpose.
But I have almost a lifetime's amount of material in Windows format and can't convert everything (which I suppose is possible).

Thank you and regards.