PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4.0 Patch File?

ewangr
09-06-2005, 04:26 AM
In earlier versions of Knoppix, the patch file you need to build a custom kernel was in /usr/src. That doesn't appear to be the case with the 4.0 DVD. Could someone point me to where the new location is (where it gets installed on the HD, or where I can find it online)? Am looking to customize my kernel for the UB issue, and would like to avoid screwing up the whole system in the process.

TIA!

chris-harry
09-06-2005, 09:55 AM
first of all... screwing up your whole system is part of the process of customizing linux (this is one of me bad jokes you might hear of and wish you never did)...

ok... um, from what i know... thats where the backup kernel thingy goes, where you configure it or something like that (garanteed that it would be incorrect)... gaaaa

anyway... you can download kernels with apt-get... but first... shoot your way over to debian.org, and go to the package area, select what type, stable, unstable, testing, you want... and go to base-system... or simular... in it has a list of all the kernals that i know of and more...

there you can search for that patch you want... once done, dont download... open a termenal... tpye in su, (it will ask you for root pass, give it), and use apt-get update

let it update... then.. apt-get install ____(name of package goes in here)___

or u could just download it strait into the folder (better to do this i think)...

well hopefully i have been helpful

ewangr
09-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Well, yes, those are all steps for creating a custom kernel. However, Knoppix does some things to the kernel to set it up to use it's startup files properly, and so there's usually a diff file that you have to run with the patch command to make sure that the .config that is used when you do the make for the kernel has all the right stuff.

In previous versions I could find this in /usr/src as a file. It doesn't appear to be there at this point. And the online help only shows where to get the patches for versions that are quite a bit older. So I thought I'd see if anyone else has built a custom kernel from the 4.0 DVD, and if they did whether they had a knoppix patch file (or if that has gone away).

FWIW,
Ewan

ewangr
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Anyone? I really just want to customize a kernel to drop the UB bit so I can get on with my life :D

Is the problem that 4.0 is too new?

d00m3d
09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
To get rid of the nasty UB support in kernel, please make sure CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB=m or CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB=y will not appear in your .config file for kernel compilation, i.e. ensure you set the UB support to n.