PDA

View Full Version : How do I get old Versions?

jokerle
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi,

for development reasons I would like to get an old version of Knoppix (should contain Perl 5.6.x). Is there an archive of old images somewhere??

I googled high and low but could not find anything.

I found some versions from early 2004, but they contain Perl 5.8.

Thanks in advance for any tip!

-Jochen

chris-harry
09-06-2005, 11:52 AM
um... i think you can still find some old versions of perl... um... trying to think of where... please wait...

chris-harry
09-06-2005, 12:01 PM
ok, sourceforge.com, should contain an old copy of the perl you want... it contains alot of things thou...

one recomendation... dont go searching for an old copy of knoppix... it'll be extreamly hard to find... unless you have a friend who happens to have that exact copy you want.. or by some miricle someone of P2P has acopy...

thats all i have to say.... :D:D have fun with your developement...

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
There certainly is a lack of a good archive of old Knoppix releases. If you do find anything as old as you need online, please post back the link.

There is a book, "Knoppix Hacks" that comes with a CD. The CD is a little dated now, but I expect it is still too new to be what you are looking for.

You might be better off finding the old version of Pearl that you need than finding an old Knoppix download. With a bit of work that might even allow you to remaster a Knopix CD to include to old version.

It may also help if in your searching you find old logs of what was on each version of Knoppix and determine which versions of Knoppix, if any, have the version of Pearl that you need.

One alternative might to be to find some other live CD that is derived from Knoppix and see if Pearl is on that. I know Knoppix-STD hasn't been updated in a very long time, for example, so if it would have Pearl it would certainly have an old version.

jokerle
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
um... i think you can still find some old versions of perl... um... trying to think of where... please wait...

do you have an idea what depends on Perl in a unix system??? Changing the installed Version of Perl and anything depending on it is no fun and far from trivial.

Booting a live system with a suitable Perl on it to run the scripts for compatibility checks would just be it.
Anything else usually would mean installing an old enough Linux on a box! Perl 5.6.0 ist the stable defaul of Debian 3 btw.

kirol
09-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I think you'll need to go back as far as knoppix 3.1 to get perl 5.6. My copy is dated 8-Aug-2002. 3.2 apparently had already switched to 5.8.