PDA

View Full Version : "You passed an undefined mode number"

ScottK
09-06-2005, 06:08 PM
First of all I'll clarify that I'm dumb when it comes to this. I am basically trying to boot to a knoppix cd with my usb plugged so that I can copy some documents off of a computer before I blow it out and reload the OS.

This system is a Compaq (1st problem) PIII866 with Windows 2000 (2nd problem).

I've looked all over at the documentation and forum for an answer to my question and have tried a couple of things but don't really know what I'm doing. I need some layman explaination, sorry :?

I boot and get the "You passed an undefined mode number" I have tried to let it find what it's looking for automatically and I have also hit return at which time it gives me a list. I tried all the numbered options in the list and none result in the screen I'm looking for (interface).

I did try "boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3" and got through stage 1, 2, and it started 3 and ended at
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
root@tty1[/]#

It still didn't help me and I'm not sure what that all meant. But like I said, this is all Greek to me :(

I boot up and it looks like it gets to "Starting X11" after this point the screen looks like it needs a horizontal hold adjustment and I never get to the interface or if it is there I can't see it.

I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Dummy needs to learn how to use subject line.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574

UnderScore
09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Please fix your sbject line by editing the post.

The
"You passed an undefined mode number"can be ignored. You can enter a zero "0" or just press enter.

It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then setting a resolution & refresh rate that is beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes), such as:
knoppix screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
knoppix screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60

I hope this helps.
James

ScottK
09-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Sorry Harry :oops: I corrected that thanks to help from Underscore. I will try putting in the cheat codes. I assume you type them in before you hit <Return> to start the boot.