PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8.1 on USB pen

s-m-n
09-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi,
I want to install Knoppix on an USB pen. How much space would this take? I don't have a pen yet and I don't want to buy one that hasn't enough capacity.

ruymbeke
09-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Hi,
I want to install Knoppix on an USB pen. How much space would this take? I don't have a pen yet and I don't want to buy one that hasn't enough capacity.
Unless you want to remaster knoppix to make it smaller, you will most likely need about 700MB, which is the size of the ISO. There is not much stuff you can remove besides the big /KNOPIPIX/KNOPPIX file. I have it working on a 1GB USB dongle. Look in here how I did it: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
Best Regards, Gilles

s-m-n
09-07-2005, 08:12 AM
OK, thanks. I only want to put a standard Knoppix installation on the pen. Is it possible to split it into 2 partitions (ext2 and fat32)? I want to carry windows data next to the knoppix system, too. Err, is the pen bootable after the installation?

ruymbeke
09-07-2005, 05:09 PM
OK, thanks. I only want to put a standard Knoppix installation on the pen. Is it possible to split it into 2 partitions (ext2 and fat32)? I want to carry windows data next to the knoppix system, too. Err, is the pen bootable after the installation?
If you use the hp utility I am talking about, your USB dongle will bootable and formatted with a fat 16 which writable by both windows and Linux. Let me how this works for you. Cheers, Gilles

s-m-n
09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Thank you for accepting and answering my stupid questions. :D

If you use the hp utility I am talking about, your USB dongle will bootable and formatted with a fat 16 which writable by both windows and Linux. Let me how this works for you.

So Knoppix would be installed and be bootable on the fat16 formatted pen? Did I understand this right?

Would this solution you described work on any computer that is able to boot from USB devices (means that the whole knoppix data is on the dongle)? I want to have Knoppix on the dongle to do some Linux presentation without CD and so on. So it should be independent on system
configuration of the target computer. And 1 GB is enough?

I've partially read your thread linked above. It seems to be interesting, especially eco2geek's posting (the second on the second page), that starts with
"JD -- Here's some ideas for you. Happy to be a guinea pig. I expect you or someone else will catch some errors.
So, you set your BIOS's boot order to boot first off the USB key, then off the hard disk. If it doesn't find a USB key, it boots into Windows. That what you're looking for?" and so on.

Thank you very much!
regards, s-m-n