PDA

View Full Version : A GNU development environment

kynax
09-07-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi

I started a new semester at school and in my Assembly class, we will be developing in Linux. Not having any other choice, I'm using Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD on my laptop since I can't install Linux on it. However, I can't find the tools we will be using in class. I know that they are included on the cd, but I don't know how to reach them.

We are using the GNU tools, mainly:
make
gcc and g++
as
ld
etc

in class, the teacher only calls them in the shell by using the name of the tool, so I guess they have to be set up to work in any folder...

Is it possible to set up Knoppix to do the same? If so, is it easily done so I can redo it every time I boot into Knoppix?

angor
09-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Nothing to be set up, just type the commands in on konsole. The executables all live in directories that are in your PATH
(<code> echo $PATH</code>). Also try <code> type gcc</code> to find out where exactly "gcc" is located.

Good luck with your course!

kynax
09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
ok so since the executables are all in the PATH variable, it should be possible to call them from any folder by simply typing <code>gcc</code> for example, right?

kynax
09-08-2005, 11:54 AM
its works fine now...

i dont know what was wrong then, because i just do the same thing and it works....

chris-harry
09-08-2005, 01:06 PM
aww man, i am so glad that at least one school is teaching linux... at me school... i said to the info tech guy, why arnt we learning something fun, like linux... and he just looked at me blankly... and then ignored me... thats why i didnt do it this year...