PDA

View Full Version : linux/windows network

jgrealish
09-09-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm a fresh out of the womb Knoppix newbie with zero networking experience (well, I once set up an all Windows home network but it was pretty automatic). My goal is to connect my Knoppix box to a D-Link DI 604 router so I can access the cable modem supplied by the cable company (BrightHouse/RoadRunner). I, then, would like to connect my two Windows XP boxes as clients to share the internet connection and share files. I started out just trying a direct ethernet connection between the linux box and the cable modem to see if I could establish a connection but failed. I'm online now using that same direct ethernet cable connected to my WinXP laptop so I know the connection is good.
If someone here could walk me through the baby steps I'd be very grateful.

Harry Kuhman
09-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Here is the basics for connecting your Knoppix system to the Dlink router and getting on the Internet:
Make sure the computer is connected to the router. You plan on using the same computer and wired connection, so that part is good.

Boot Knoppix.

Put a URL in the browser window that is open when you boot.
That's it. Knopix should get all of it's setup information from the router by DHCP.

Networking to the windows system isn't much more complex, but may be a bit diffenent for XP than for the Win98 system I usually use (due to changes Windows made, not to any issue with Knoppix). It's been discussed in these forums many tomes, a little searhing should find you plenty of information.

jgrealish
09-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks for your help! I now have my Knoppix box hooked to my router and connected to the internet. My Windows laptop is also hooked up to the router and sharing the internet. That was easy. Now I have to learn a little about Knoppix and Samba so I can load my graphic and music files from my laptop to the Knoppix box.

jgrealish
09-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Strangest thing. I rebooted the Knoppix box (I have it running from the HD) and now it won't connect to the internet. Is there something I'm missing?

Harry Kuhman
09-10-2005, 03:01 AM
Strangest thing. I rebooted the Knoppix box (I have it running from the HD) and now it won't connect to the internet. Is there something I'm missing?
You seem to be mising the warning we give new users that Knoppix isn't really intended to install to the hard disk. In particular, Networking has been breaking after a hard disk "install" for about three years now, the second post to the HDD forum back in 2002 was about Networking breaking after a HD install (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25), and I've seen a steady stream of them since. Nothing strange about it.

jgrealish
09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Forgive my newbie mistakes. I'm learning. The post you referred to gave a fix. How do I edit that file? From a console window?