PDA

View Full Version : Help copying files on NTFS drive

Millions Knives
09-10-2005, 04:09 AM
I know that file writting is not recommended on a NTFS drive, but I was wondering if I would be able to do this.

Recently my registry within Windows XP Professional SP2 became corrupted which would not allow me to boot into Windows at all. It also prevents me from being able to access the Recovery Console and from formatting my drive and re-installing Windows through the Windows XP CD installer. Now without having to format my drive I'd like to be able to repair my registry. I read up on how to do so by copying the registry snapshots from an older System Restore point.

My problem is I'm not sure if Knoppix would allow me to do this since it is a NTFS partition. I tried to enable writing to the disk by going to the properties of the drive and enabling read/write for all users as well as unchecked the read only box in the next tab. Doing so I still cannot edit the files on this drive at all.

What I want to know for sure is would copying files that are already on the drive (the backed up registry files) to another part of the drive (the config folder in system32) corrupt those files? And if not, then what am I doing wrong to enable file writing in Knoppix.

I'm using version 3.9.2 of Knoppix by the way, if that helps at all.

Harry Kuhman
09-10-2005, 04:16 AM
Writing to an NTFS partition is highly likely to destroy the entire partition, not just the files in question. The way to recover with Knoppix when you can't access the files with XP, is to use Knoppix to read the files and move them to another computer on the network, save them to a USB flash device, write them to a CD or CDRW, Write themto a disk with a FAT partition on it, transfer them to temporary spac on the Internet, or even e-mail them to yourself.

faycal
09-12-2005, 05:36 PM
HI

I am interested to know how can I edit my files and copy them, transfer them in to my hard disk within knoppix environment.

Hope to share any info this issue,

Thank you.

Faycal