PDA

View Full Version : crashes computer

nodoz
09-10-2005, 06:27 AM
I have loaded my Knoppix in the past no problems, but it is crashing my machine at the end of the loading. Well, actually it seems to be turning off the monitor while the computer is still on.

I also noticed a line during startup that went something like this:

read error position 727100242 cdrom /knoppix etc

then

error -3 uncompressing block.........etc
:done

Maybe this is not the problem?? I ran the disk on another machine with no problems. How can I troubleshoot this?

thanks

Harry Kuhman
09-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Did you read the downloading faq and follow all of the tips in it?

Did you check the md5 checksum before burning?

Did you burn at a slow speed?

Did you try the testcd option at boot time?

nodoz
09-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. Well first, I have loaded this into ram before using memtest. Maybe that's different. Secondly, I didn't burn the disk, I bought it ready made, and it does work on other machines.

Harry Kuhman
09-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. Well first, I have loaded this into ram before using memtest. Maybe that's different. Secondly, I didn't burn the disk, I bought it ready made, and it does work on other machines.
Memtest doesn't "load this" into ram, memtest runs memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) that tests your memory, but has nothing at all to do with loading "this" into RAM.

You didn't answer the all important question #4.

The fact that it works on other systems unfortunately does not mean that it is a reliable burn. In fact, that you bought the disc made "somewhere" make me think it is highly likely that it was burnt fast (the dubious people selling CD's on e-bay, for example, are not likely to burn a CD slowly and reliably, they are more likely to crank out as many an hour as they can). That and the fact that it sounds like the problems seen with an unreliable high speed burn makes me think that is what the problem is. Of course, I have no way to know for sure if that is the problem, I'm just telling you what experience has taught me. It could be something else. If you have a different optical drive that you could boot the disc with I would try that on the same computer; high speed burns tend to be real erratic on what systems drives they will work on. If it fails in the exact same way on another drive then you have more information that would make me doubt my theory (although you don't completely disprove it), if it works with a different drive then you prove my theory.

nodoz
09-11-2005, 07:51 AM
the CD I have came from Linux System labs Australia. www.lsl.com.au

This CD has worked on 4 other machines running xp. The fifth machine is mine. My instinct is telling me it is not related to the burn.