PDA

View Full Version : can't write to hd's

danleech
09-12-2005, 02:20 PM
hi, ive been trying to install Knoppix for a few days now, or to be more accurate, I installed Knoppix a few days ago and have since been trying to get the Grub to work... I think the solution to my problem lies in editing the 'device.map' file, however, I cannot write to this partition.

I have right clicked the hd partition icon on the desktop and un-checked read-only, and set all permissions to rw. I have also tried writing to the disk in root mode. In-fact, I cannot write to any of the partitions, though the knx2hd script didn't seem to have any problems..

Does anybody know why I cannot write to my drives?

Thanks in advance

kayl
09-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Open up a command terminal and switch to super user with "su"

"cd /mnt/hda1" assuming the disk in question is the first IDE disk on the first bus.

"ll" for a directory listing. If you get "0 files" back, you have failed to mount the disk.

"ll > temp.txt" to create a file containing the directory listing. To test if you can write at all. You shouldn't have to change any permission to RW because those are file specific and you're super user. If it says you can't write, perhaps you haven't actually changed the disk to "read/write." I haven't installed since v3.7 but v3.9 there is no box to "uncheck," it's under the Actions menu when you right click the desktop icon.

doccpu
10-21-2005, 07:13 PM
I am unable to write to installed hd's in this machine and unable to even view the /root directory of the installed harddrive. Partition is ext2 and su may not be called root. How can i log as another user to see and acces the hd partitions?

doccpu
10-21-2005, 07:23 PM
I can open a console and su and see files that are locked in the kde gui. but how can i get access to them in the desktop?
i can read hda3 but not write and have no rw to the old /root on hda3
ack
all i want to do is get firefox to run under suse 6.1
ack