PDA

View Full Version : Is there a HOWTO using CD with memory stick ?

Prayer
09-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I have found out how to set up myconfig to point to the stick.
I found a different page that helped me to "move" /home to the memory stick. Something like systems or settings, anyway it asked for 100Megs of my 269 free in the stick. It saved it all as knoppix.img file 100 megs big.

I would like to find a HOWTO item that has the above and more interesting things to do for the rank beginner that DOES NOT want to install to the hard drive. Mostly because they feel too ignorant yet. I am involved with a special interest group that is exploring Knoppix as a way to begin learning Linux. We are preparing 40-50 CDs for giving away at our meeting Sat at the PACS (Philadelpha Area Computer Society) meeting. Would like to have this imagined HOWTO to hand out with the disks at end of presentation at our SIG.

I google and most every hit is about installing Knoppix to hard drive. We are not there yet. We plan to do a lot of experimenting with booting the CD with memory sticks for the next year and then reconsider installing to hard drive as folks gain confidence in themselves.

Rich, praying for a URL to descend out of the "ether" that will point to the most useful HOWTO ever!
:wink:

babelbrennt
09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Knowing Knoppix wiki at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Knowing_Knoppix
or downloadable pdf at http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/knowing-knoppix/index.html. to save to disk do as with windows----- file-----save as (you can save in MS Windows format as well for documents .I don't know about other things --------then navigate up to the top directory where there'll be a list within which there should be the mnt diectory. Click on this and then select sda1 if you are using Knoppix 3.7 or uba1 if you are using Knoppix 3.8 or above-----then save and hopefully it should save to your disk. Another option would be to just name and save and then click on your usb stick icon as well as your home icon and drag and drop the file into your usb folder.