PDA

View Full Version : Boot Knoppix from USB-Pen

CentralPlexus
04-24-2003, 03:51 PM
I tried Knoppix on CD and i really like it.
If possible, why not boot from a USB2.0-Pen (suitably sized, of course).
Might help to build zero-noise-PCs, if one can avoid HDs & CDs.

thx

reub2000
04-28-2003, 01:43 AM

You'd still need a psu, cpu, and maybe a case fan. And the size of a memory stick would be limiting. Though a memory card would allow data to be written to it.

Knoppix is good for a demo of linux, or using on your schools computers, but you wouldn't want to use it as your primary os. (You'd be forced to that if it had no hdd or cd drive.)

aay
04-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Knoppix is good for a demo of linux, or using on your schools computers, but you wouldn't want to use it as your primary os. (You'd be forced to that if it had no hdd or cd drive.)

Hopefully you're only refering to the cd version of Knoppix. Intalled on a hdd Knoppix makes a great primary os since it is essentially Debian, w/o some of the hassels associated with the Debian install.

reub2000
04-28-2003, 04:17 AM

Hopefully you're only refering to the cd version of Knoppix. Intalled on a hdd Knoppix makes a great primary os since it is essentially Debian, w/o some of the hassels associated with the Debian install.

Yes, I was refering to the live cd version.

And on a memory stick, you'd be stuck with the small amount of programs they could fit on a memory stick. Need something else, you can't use it.

CentralPlexus
04-28-2003, 10:10 AM

Yes, I was refering to the live cd version.

And on a memory stick, you'd be stuck with the small amount of programs they could fit on a memory stick. Need something else, you can't use it.

i know that knoppix contains about 2GB of data, but 90% personally i don't need, thus i'd customized it anyway. Point is, i'd like to built/have a "thin client" with LAN access. Trust me, if knoppix boots from a USB-Pen it is very well feasible to build a zero-noise-PC. Even with a cd-rom drive installed, i wouldn't want to have to boot always from cd.

garyng
04-28-2003, 11:00 AM
may be morphix is the one for you. It has a lighter version which only takes 185M that fits in a 256M CF and if some trimming is done, may be in a 128M CF

As for the booting from USB Pen/CF, I believe it is partially a machine thing(the latest bios can boot from such a device as far as I know) and partially a linux thing(how to load the proper drivers such that the USB drive comes to light at the very early stage).

I am working on this direction, but at a very early stage. My goal is to carry a number(one or two) of mini-cd/CF card/pen drive that I can go anyway and borrow a machine be it running windows/linux and just boot mine on it.

Henk Poley
04-30-2003, 12:44 PM

You'd still need a psu, cpu, and maybe a case fan. And the size of a memory stick would be limiting.
Are you sure? :-P (no..)