PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix shuts down after opening a single X session....

akapulko
09-13-2005, 08:46 AM
I've downloaded an iso file from one of the mirrors listed in the site and burned it onto a CD. [it's Knoppix 2.7.8 if I'm not mistaken]

When trying to boot my PC with it,the Knoppix seems to load successfully-recognizes all hardware etc.,then it announces that it will open a X session for user Knoppix and after this session is closed it will shutdown the system

Then it proceeds to opening a graphic screen with Knopix and "linux in use" splash screen and sort of icons which "light up" each at a time as things are being loaded[or so the text says.]

Then the graphic window closes,it goes back to the text screen -and proceeds with closing the system as promised...

Seeing as I'd like to work with Knoppix for more than 1 second- :lol: -how do I fix this ?[and what's wrong?]

Thanks in advance..

Harry Kuhman
09-13-2005, 09:17 AM
I've downloaded an iso file from one of the mirrors listed in the site and burned it onto a CD. [it's Knoppix 2.7.8 if I'm not mistaken]
I believe you are indeed mistaken.

Then the graphic window closes,it goes back to the text screen -and proceeds with closing the system as promised...
Sounds like things went as expected right up to this point, but it's not normal for Knoppix to shut down on it's own like that. No clues from any of the booting messages? Have you tried the knoppix testcd "cheat code", and for that matter did you check the md5 sum of the ISO if you didn't use BitTorrent to download it? Did you burn the CD at a slow speed? Have you tried booting that CD on any other system and if so what happened? Anything that you want to tell us about the hardware that you are booting on?

akapulko
09-13-2005, 09:42 AM
I believe you are indeed mistaken.

Sounds like things went as expected right up to this point, but it's not normal for Knoppix to shut down on it's own like that. No clues from any of the booting messages? Have you tried the knoppix testcd "cheat code", and for that matter did you check the md5 sum of the ISO if you didn't use BitTorrent to download it? Did you burn the CD at a slow speed? Have you tried booting that CD on any other system and if so what happened? Anything that you want to tell us about the hardware that you are booting on?

I've indeed burned the CD on slow speed.Haven't checked the MD5,will do so though.
Where can i find instructions on knoppix testcd ?
Trying the CD on another PC is a problem since I haven't got a 2nd one to try it on....

The hardware is AMD Sempron CPU+256 Mb cache+256 Mb DDR RAM,20 GB HD. Win XP Pro SP2 as current OS.

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
09-13-2005, 11:41 AM
I've indeed burned the CD on slow speed.Haven't checked the MD5,will do so though.
Where can i find instructions on knoppix testcd ?
Follow the Documentation link near the top of this page. You will go to this site's wiki. Read the section on "Cheat Codes" for the testcd info. (What you'll find is that you type in knoppix testcd at the boot prompt that comes up a few seconds after you start the boot. Press F2 at this point to see more options.) And I suggest reading the Downloading FAQ also, even though you already have downloaded and burnt the CD, it will have tips on checking the md5 sum. Congratulations on having burnt the CD slowly, most people have to learn the hard way.

It may well turn out that you need some other cheat code to get past this shut down thing, but I have no idea what code that might be.