PDA

View Full Version : apt-get dist-upgrade wants to remove almost everything KDE

Weevil
09-13-2005, 05:07 PM
I don't know why, but I periodically have to go through this and it's getting really annoying. I try to do a dist-upgrade and apt-get wants to remove almost everything related to KDE. Howcum? I don't know why. I got past it once by installing things one at a time (based on the Conf line in an apt-get -s dist-upgrade output) and eventually hit enough of them that the rest of the crap passed without being removed. This time I can't get it to work.

Why does this happen? What's the fix? It's a vanilla 3.7 installation.

I'd really like it to work because I currently have the other recurring, annoying problem where KDE ignores my attempts to move or resize windows. Anyone know where that comes from?

I solved a couple by scrutinizing the output from apt-get --fix-broken --no-remove -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade, but that only took me so far.

Anyway, here is some voluminous output from apt-get --no-remove dist-upgrade:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
ark isdn-config k3blibs kaddressbook kalarm kamera kandy kappfinder karm kasteroids kate kate-plugins katomic kbattleship kcalc kcharselect kcron kdat kde-i18n-cs kde-i18n-da kde-i18n-de kde-i18n-es kde-i18n-fr
kde-i18n-it kde-i18n-ja kde-i18n-nl kde-i18n-pl kde-i18n-ru kde-i18n-tr kde-services-knoppix kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs-bin
kdelibs4 kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdevelop3 kdevelop3-data kdevelop3-plugins kdm kfax kfind kfloppy kget
kghostview kgpgcertmanager khelpcenter khexedit kiconedit klaptopdaemon klipper kmahjongg kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmix knode knotes knx-installer kompare konqueror-nsplugins konsole konsolekalendar kontact
kooka korganizer kpackage kpager kpaint kpersonalizer kpf kpilot kppp krdc kreversi krfb ksmserver ksnapshot ksokoban ksplash ksync ksysv kteatime ktimer ktip ktnef ktuberling kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell
kxconfig libarts1 libcvsservice0 libkcal2 libkdeedu1 libkdegames1 libkdenetwork2 libkdepim1 libkgantt0 libkleopatra0a libkonq4 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1 libkscan1 libksieve0 libopenexr2 libqt3c102-mt
libtag1 lisa secpolicy
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libarts1c2 libbluetooth1 libflac++5 libgnokii2 libopenexr2c2 libqt3-mt libtag1c2
The following packages have been kept back:
cloop-utils frozen-bubble-data kdelibs-data mknbi pppconfig
The following packages will be upgraded:
kismet kphone qt3-dev-tools qtparted scribus
5 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 120 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
E: Packages need to be removed but remove is disabled.

fingers99
09-13-2005, 10:00 PM
You really shouldn't try dist-upgrade on Knoppix. If you proceed, you will almost certainly break stuff big style. See the top of your /etc/apt/sources.list for a safer (no guarantees) way to proceed. The issues are because (most) Knoppix releases use stuff from all the Debian trees (whicjh is why some of us reciommend Kanotix for a HD install).

Anyway, mine reads:

# /etc/apt/sources.list for Knoppix
# If you want to do a "full upgrade", you should first
# upgrade the Packages from Debian/unstable (KDE & Co.)
# before doing a (dist-)upgrade for Debian/testing.

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

Weevil
09-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the tips, fingers... I've wondered more than few times why I was having difficulty with this. I appreciate the guidance.

CytoTech
09-15-2005, 03:34 AM
how about if try kpackage? it's GUI-based... just a suggestion... :D

Weevil
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
I like KPackage, as far as a front end goes. It doesn't address the dependency or installation problems, but it makes it easier to see what's available for update and all that. Sometimes I think it's just a timing thing with package availability. Running apt today, it isn't trying to remove all the KDE stuff anymore.

Weevil
09-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Heh. Spoke too soon. I completely buggered up my KDE install after all. I have KDE running again, but now I have to figure out how to get all the Knoppix stuff back. I guess it's a good thing I do almost everything in a shell.

Robin T Cox
09-18-2005, 05:25 PM
The dist-upgrade problem is affecting lots of us because "the debian team has been compiling the whole backend of kde, kdelibs has just been updated, so most of its backend is done, only the frontend applications are left and can be expected within a few weeks (my best guess). You are advised not to upgrade until this is out as it could possibly break kde. please hold off on upgrades until 3.4 is fully complete."

(from the MEPIS Lovers site)
http://www.mepislovers.org/

Weevil
09-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm going to try a Kanotix upgrade this week.

Weevil
09-19-2005, 08:13 PM
You really shouldn't try dist-upgrade on Knoppix. If you proceed, you will almost certainly break stuff big style. See the top of your /etc/apt/sources.list for a safer (no guarantees) way to proceed. The issues are because (most) Knoppix releases use stuff from all the Debian trees (whicjh is why some of us reciommend Kanotix for a HD install).
Thank you so much for the pointer to Kanotix. I have upgraded both of my Knoppix installs to Kanotix, and I think I'll be much happier with it. I'm more of a weekend warrior when it comes to Linux, and prefer to spend less time on setup and configuration than many Linux users do. I think that having a nice, easy install of Linux is required if it will ever compete toe to toe with Windows. Myself, it seems like every time I turn around I'm rebuilding one box or another, and I enjoy being able to make a useful Debian box very quickly with Knoppix. With Kanotix it will be that much better.

Why has a good, upgradable hard disk install not been a priority for Knoppix? I think that Kanotix has filled valuable gap.

fingers99
09-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Why has a good, upgradable hard disk install not been a priority for Knoppix?

I think it's just a matter of horses for courses: Knoppix has the edge as a live CD, Kanotix has it as a HD install. I did read somewhere that Knoppix was to switch to using the unstable tree exclusively (which should make a choice between it and Kanotix one of package preference) but I'm not sure if its true or not.

Harry Kuhman
09-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Why has a good, upgradable hard disk install not been a priority for Knoppix? I think that Kanotix has filled valuable gap.
Why would it, that's not what Knoppix is intended to be? Knoppix is a live CD. It does that great. For the people who insist on Installing it, I consider the advice of the phlisophers Mr. T and Nelson.

Debian, the distro that Knoppix is derived from is good for HD install. Klaus could use all one version of Debian, but then he gives up either the ability to draw from some of the newer parts in the latest distributions, or the reliability of the stable distributions. Instead he picks and chooses and makes everything work together, Fine for a Live CD, not so good for the person who insists on installing Knoppix and then upgrading and breaking it.

For those who haven't even looked at installing Debian recently, I have no pitty at all. The distro has improved a lot in the last few years and the install is much less technical than it used to be. That's not to say the install process is without any problems. It can, for example, have issues with sound cards. But then again, so does Knoppix.

If any effort were made in uniting Knoppix with a hard disk install, I don't believe that it should be in a way that compromises the basic Live CD approach of Knoppix. Perhaps someone who could identify actual areas of hardware detection where Knoppix can be shown to do better than Debian could either look at moving that technology into the Debian installer, or could look at capturing the Knoppix configuration information to assist the Debian installer (Boot Knoppix, be sure you have all the hardware configured properly, produce a configuration file that Debian can use when it installs). This would make a lot more sense to me than people who had not even tried to install Debian wanting to see the Live CD Knoppix changed into something it isn't intended to be.

Weevil
09-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Why would it, that's not what Knoppix is intended to be?
For the reasons I mentioned, because a good, easy installation is a good thing for a distro to have, and Knoppix has 90% of it. It seems like a natural extension, and apparently did to Joerg Schirottke as well.

For those who haven't even looked at installing Debian recently, I have no pitty at all
Who asked for pity? I asked for information. You could have as easily said, "You should check out the current Debian installation. It has really improved." Maybe next time I'll look at it, but yes, in the meantime, please keep your "pitty" to yourself.

If any effort were made in uniting Knoppix with a hard disk install, I don't believe that it should be in a way that compromises the basic Live CD approach of Knoppix. Perhaps someone who could identify actual areas of hardware detection where Knoppix can be shown to do better than Debian could either look at moving that technology into the Debian installer, or could look at capturing the Knoppix configuration information to assist the Debian installer (Boot Knoppix, be sure you have all the hardware configured properly, produce a configuration file that Debian can use when it installs). This would make a lot more sense to me than people who had not even tried to install Debian wanting to see the Live CD Knoppix changed into something it isn't intended to be.
I agree. And I suppose maybe that's my real question - why there is not a solid installation aimed at hard disk installation that includes all the great Knoppix stuff. I use the live CD once in a while to help me repair broken machines, but a fast, simple, complete hard disk install with good hardware detection, etc., is valuable to me as well.

chanio
04-08-2006, 10:31 PM
You really shouldn't try dist-upgrade on Knoppix. If you proceed, you will almost certainly break stuff big style. See the top of your /etc/apt/sources.list for a safer (no guarantees) way to proceed.
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

:lol: Could anybody help? I am not sure where to look for this thing...
:oops: I do upgrade KNOPPIX packages at my persistent home and now find a problem:
Some of these packages come upgraded inside the Knoppix new DVD. But I can't see them since I have the old ones installed.

:?: Through "fingers99" answers, I guess that there should be a way of telling apt-get to consider upgrading from the DVD (apt-cdrom). Or better, telling me what local packages in my persisten home should be upgraded and allow me to erase them in order to be able to use the DVD ones...

Am I right? Have anyone solved this problem?
Could Synaptic help to do this?
:idea: This should be the main problem of using a Live DVD:
Difficulties with dealing with the manually upgraded applications when using a new Knoppix version
Besides this, it is far better than any installed LINUX distribution.

:idea: I feel myself so close to the solution, that I know that sooner or later I am going to find the answer.
But if somebody has solved this before, I would be thankful to listen to it and learn something.

Thank you in advance
Alberto