PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4.01 DVD - No Sound

IndigoRage
09-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey all, I just joined the fourms, and I'm new to Knoppix, so...

Here's my situation:

I downloaded the latest DVD (4.01), and booted with no obvious problems. All my hardware was detected, and everything seems to work, EXCEPT, as the title suggests, I hear no sound.

Letting the normal boot sequence run, my soundcard (SoundBlaster Live! 5.1) detects using the emu10k1... looks just fine.
Booting with the cheatcode ALSA or ALSACONF fails to detect my soundcard at all.
Running the Soundcard config utility gives me:

You don't seem to be running a kernel with modual sound enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the modual search path). To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with modular sound, such as the kernel shipping with Debian GNU/Linux or a 2.2 kernel, and the sound must be compiled as modules.

I've also tried plugging my speakers into my Line In, Line Out, and regular Speaker jacks.

None of these have produced any sound whatsoever.

Now here's my thoughts:

I have Boston Acoustics Digital BA735 speakers.

They work just fine in Windows, however the output must be changed to Digital Output, or there is no sound.

I cannot find any similar setting under Knoppix.

If there is such a setting, can someone tell me where to find it.
If there is another method to get sound working, let me know!

Thanks,
Indigo

Update:

I dug up an older set of BA speakers that are analog, and everything works just fine.
This may be of help to others having this same sort of problem.

Pax,
Indigo

WaKa
10-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Got it from admart35 another Knoppix user. Use the CLI and type su. type alsamixer and go to analog/digital output jack it should read above that it is off. press the letter m to turn it on. Now start Xine.

Harry Kuhman
10-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I downloaded the latest DVD (4.01),
I'm not sure about your sound problem, but the latest Knoppix is 4.0.2 and it fixes some problems with 4.0.1 (although I don't think any were sound related).

PlatinumPlus
10-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Got it from admart35 another Knoppix user. Use the CLI and type su. type alsamixer and go to analog/digital output jack it should read above that it is off. press the letter m to turn it on. Now start Xine.

I seem to have a similar problem and will tell you if this works for me :D

PlatinumPlus
11-01-2005, 11:31 AM
I seem to have a similar problem and will tell you if this works for me :D

Ooops no luck, it tells me it cannot find alsamixer. Any other options :roll: Where could my alsamixer have gone :cry:

Markus
11-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Try running alsaconf as root.

PlatinumPlus
11-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Try running alsaconf as root.

I am now playing Frozen Bubble in Full Sound, thanks Markus.