PDA

View Full Version : USB drives and harddrives automount

abeverley
09-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Should all harddrive partitions and USB drives automatically mount? From what I've read in various posts it looks like they should. All I get is a directory in /mnt corresponding to all the partitions, but they are not actually mounted.

If they should not automatically mount, can someone explain how to enable it, especially for USB drives?

When I plug a USB drive in, the directory gets created in /mnt, and the output from dmesg is:

usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
uba: device 3 capacity nsec 39063024 bsize 512
uba: device 3 capacity nsec 39063024 bsize 512
uba: uba1

Once connected the drive can then be mounted using mount /dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1, but I want this to happen automatically.

My Knoppix version is 3.9CD

Zoltan
09-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Should all harddrive partitions and USB drives automatically mount? From what I've read in various posts it looks like they should. All I get is a directory in /mnt corresponding to all the partitions, but they are not actually mounted.

I'm a newbie, but they don't all mount for me. I do get a directory for each of them in /mnt, but when I try to mount one of them (uba9, a FAT partition), I'm told that there's no entry /dev/uba9 (and there isn't).

Under Kanotix, all of them automount just fine Unlike Knoppix, which lists uba1-8 in /dev, Kanotix has only one entry, uba.[/quote]