PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card and Internet recognition

The Rockologist
09-14-2005, 03:14 AM
I recently downloaded an ISO for Knoppix 3.9, burned it to a CD, and ran it on my laptop. All the programs worked perfectly, except the system was not able to produce any sound nor was it able to detect my wireless card or any wireless networks in the area, not even from the router I have set up in my front room. When I ran it again, I saw on the boot menu that the sound card inside of my computer was not being recognized also. The same thing happened when I ran it on my desktop; it was unable to detect a sound card. Also on the desktop, I was unable to access the internet through Konqueror or Mozilla.

I'm wondering, is there anything I have to configure for the system to allow Knoppix to recognize these things? Or might I just have downloaded a defective copy? :shock:

Harry Kuhman
09-14-2005, 03:37 AM
I'm wondering, is there anything I have to configure for the system to allow Knoppix to recognize these things? Or might I just have downloaded a defective copy?
It actually seems unlikely that you have a defective copy. Recent versions have had a lot of problems detecting the sound card on many computers; it fails on one of mine with a standard Soundblaster 16. And wireless networking fails much more often than it works. A new wireless section is being started in the wiki (follow the Documentation link near the top of thispage), but there is a lot more to be added to this wiki article yet. There have been many discussions in the forums for work arounds to set up a sound card and even to get some wireless cards working, it may take a bit of skillful use of the search feature to find them.