PDA

View Full Version : Why to bring back Psi

eriixblaike
04-24-2003, 08:03 PM
Psi should be brought back. I have not used the Jabber plugin for Gaim, and was quite impressed. Until now, there hasn't even been a way to log in to alternative servers. This, however, does not mean they got it right. For all the things that can be done, there are some important ones that can't.

1) Server browsing is not implimented.
2) Even if you know the specifics of the agent you wish to register with, you can't.
3) Agents cannot be altered in any way (including removing an agent and the contacts associated with it).
4) The status of agents cannot be toggled (you cannot be logged in to Jabber, but have your agents offline, or decide that you want to get on ICQ at the moment, but want AIM off).
5) new account creation does not appear to exist.

There are more, but the point is it's fine to log in using Gaim for a little bit, but if a user wants to use any of the advanced features of Jabber, they're just out of luck. You can't even do searching for contacts with the JUD -- let alone searching through agents. Agent status isn't even displayed, so if something is wrong with an agent, you may not even know -- and you certianly can't do anything about it.

In short, it is a bad idea to remove the only true Jabber client from the distrib. (OK, many of these complaints are rendered moot for the live disk, since you're not expected to be doing anything with your account, but if it's _just_ a live disk, what is knx-hdinstall? Longer-term ideas are implimented, so the idea that one may wish to have some degree of control over their acct does not seem unreasonable (to me)).

BTW:
Big thanks for ALSA support, even if I do have to disable it right now... When I figure the problem out, I will be quite happy about regaining complete control over my card.

BTW-II:
Anyone else using an SB Live 5.1? I haven't goot good audio using ALSA since I moved from the SB Live Platinum to my 5.1 (but the change occured at the same time I got my new pc together and switched to Knoppix from pure debian, so there are lots of factors - I'd just like to know if anyone else is getting static through their speakers when using the 5.1 w/ the ALSA drivers.

aay
04-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Don't you mean PSI not PHY?

eriixblaike
04-26-2003, 06:29 PM
My mistake. I'll fix.

Cobra
09-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Please add PSI (with SSL library), most of Jabber users use PSI (then others, including Jajc).

Cobra
01-29-2004, 06:25 PM
So, what about PSI?

aay
01-29-2004, 07:09 PM
So, what about PSI?

Hi, I don't think you'll get much reaction from Knopper on these forums. Not sure he reads them. You make requests like this to the developers list, but there is no guarantee that he will go along with it.