PDA

View Full Version : Very basic questions about KLIK

dpeirce
09-16-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm fairly new to Linux and don't understand a lot of what I read. But I have some questions about KLIK if I may ask them.

Background: I've been using xandros 3.0.1 OC (SP2). However I like to experiment with new softwares (software junkie); many times I try and install something via Xandros Networks (the install manager) or synaptic, only to get an error message relating to "Broken Packages". Almost always, this simply means that the desired package wants a dependency which is newer than the xandros-approved version. I can usually find the later version, but risk breaking Xandros if I install it. I've broken xandros so many times now that I installed a spare. So I'm looking for an alternative (Kanotix with KLIK?).

So, my questions:

I understand that KLIK installs the entire package including dependencies as one file.

1) Does that mean if I try installing a package which wants a dependency later than what I have KLIK will simply install the later version independently of what I already have? So, no more broken packages? Please tell me that's right!!!! :^>

2) Does that mean, if several packages want the same dependency, KLIK will install that dependency several times? Wouldn't that crowd the HD? :^<

In another thread I asked if there is any progress in KLIK for xandros. I sure hope it happens!!

In faith, Dave
dave@christos.cjb.net
Viva Texas

bfree
09-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Quick answers: A klik cmg program file will include the program and any dependencies which are not assumed to be part of your base system. This means that dependency problems are eliminated but that you can have many copies of the same libraries.

As for Xandros ... have you looked at the docs on klik and sent the requested information to probono? As a debian based distribution Xandros probably works generally as is, if not please post your error messages or better still visit #klik where hopefully someone will be able to debug the problem with you.

dpeirce
09-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the info. Probono has told me that there now is a package for xandros. However, I'm having trouble accessing the KLIK website. He wants to know how it works and I'm anxious to try it.

In faith, Dave
dave@christos.cjb.net
Viva Texas