PDA

View Full Version : Networking Question / DNS

MSantangelo
04-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Well this is my first time looking into and working with Knoppix... I was hoping that someone could answer me this question...

In order to connect to the external internet from my dorms (at college, Rutgers university if it helps) - I need to configure my IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router/Gateway Address, Primary DNS Server, and Secondary DNS Server. This all needs to be configured manually according to Rutgers helpdesk... Now I was wondering, since Rutgers doesn't seem to provide any Linux-related help, that maybe you all could point me in the right direction.

I successfully installed the drivers for my Intel Pro/100 VE Network card, and it DOES recieve network traffic... But it won't allow connections to the external network without the settings for the above things...

Any ideas?

aay
04-25-2003, 12:20 AM
If you can't use DHCP and are required to enter in the information manually just do the following.
1. write down the information for your.
gateway
dns servers
subnet mask
2. Open up a terminal and type: 'netcardconfig'
3. Fill in the appropriate info in the screens that pop up.

This should work. Since it sounds like you are new to Knoppix, I suggest looking in the Docs section of this site for other bits of information that will prove quite helpful for you.

MSantangelo
04-25-2003, 12:41 AM
Tried configuring with netcardconfig in terminal (yes I am new to Knoppix) but it doesnt ask for dns info though I will gladly give it another shot... and DHCP doesn't work sadly =(

Stephen
04-25-2003, 01:22 AM
Edit the file /etc/resolv.conf as root in a console window and put the line nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx = your settings for your DNS then still as root /etc/init.d/networking restart to re-start the network. The file that contains your card settings is in /etc/network/interfaces you might to check to make sure the setttings are correct.

MSantangelo
04-25-2003, 01:45 AM
I got it =)

Netcardconfig did it - It wasnt working because I have 3 networking cards... and I misconfigured it... Used Windows to get the MAC Addy of the main card, and then ifconfig to get the corresponding ethx card.

Thanks guys!

aay
04-25-2003, 02:50 AM
I got it =)

Netcardconfig did it - It wasnt working because I have 3 networking cards... and I misconfigured it... Used Windows to get the MAC Addy of the main card, and then ifconfig to get the corresponding ethx card.

Thanks guys!

Good thinking. I forget sometimes that many cable isps (and apparently some universities) lock onto your mac adress and refuse comunication from a card with any other address.

If you ever use Knoppix for wireless on your university, just use 'wlcardconfig' - similar to netcardconfig but for wireless cards.

Take care,

Adam