PDA

View Full Version : Boot fail after update version 4.0 from DVD

siggy
09-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Installed version 4.0 from the DVD to my second hard drive hdb. Did apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade. On updates, chose use maintainers version and also keep installed version. Upon reboot, it gets to a point and this message displays "WARNING: /proc/ide/hd?/settings interface is obsolete and will be removed soon". Then lists my drives, hda, hdb, hdd then stalls and "hdb:lost interupt" that keeps listing about once a minute. But can not boot to log in. What in update is messing things up? Have installed version 4.0 three times, same results after upgrades are downloaded and installed.
:(

siggy
09-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Installed version 4.0 from the DVD to my second hard drive hdb. Did apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade. On updates, chose use maintainers version and also keep installed version. Upon reboot, it gets to a point and this message displays "WARNING: /proc/ide/hd?/settings interface is obsolete and will be removed soon". Then lists my drives, hda, hdb, hdd then stalls and "hdb:lost interupt" that keeps listing about once a minute. But can not boot to log in. What in update is messing things up? Have installed version 4.0 three times, same results after upgrades are downloaded and installed.
:(
Someone told me to log in as root then do apt-get -f install after kde logon fails (ctl-alt-F1) then do apt-get -f install
comes up 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 158 not upgraded.
Then said to try apt-get --reinstall install kde, that give me a whole list of unmet depends all ending with "but it is not going to be installed".

Anyone know whats going on? :?: