PDA

View Full Version : ISO HUGE

babelbrennt
09-19-2005, 01:16 PM
My Knoppix file just keeps on growing. I have attempted to delete more files but it doesn't seem to make much difference. What's worst is that each time I start again, the thing gets even bigger although I am deleting more and more stuff. I have emptied /var/lib/apt/lists and var/cache/apt/archives, but I think that somewhere something is being stored each time I try to do this (I must have done it way over 30 times). When I switch versions from 3.9 to 3.7 and back again it seems to reduce it temporarily, but as I always make some mistake or other I end up reinstalling everything and am back to square one. Does anyone know whatisi happening (my temp folderis only 790B and my hard drive install is at 2007764 , which makes a 3.9 Knoppix file of about 768MB with an average compression rate of 37%. I have deleted about 348688 worth of files)

babelbrennt
09-23-2005, 02:07 AM
Still don't understand about the growing problem, but I managed to reduce things by swapping openoffice-de-en with Koffice (saving about 250MB) and by installing localeconf + localepurge then doing dpkg-reconfigure locales, which allowed me to delete settings in languages I won't be using (can't remeber where in the forum I read this,but thanks wherever you are). If anyone knows how linking kaffe or Blackdown jdk with tomcat works it would make my disc tinyish as that would probably save me another 150MB, which my class could use for other software.

FlaHam
09-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I had a simular problem..
I was using the knoppix-remaster script to do the job.
It worked well for me, but dispite removing packages my Iso refused to shrink.

The problem was.. I had mounted another Partition to copy my custom scripts and files.
I never umounted the partition and the remasterd iso included the contents of the "other" partition.

Once I remembered to umount the un-need partitions my iso file behaved as it should.

firnsy
09-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Believe it or not this is not an uncommon problem, FlaHam is right in saying that its typically a mounted partition within the chroot environment that if forgotten to be unmounted upon leaving. It could also be an unchecked mounted partition in the master directories as well. Why there would be one there I don't know, but stranger things have happened.

The most common reason for me getting huge ISOs when starting out remastering was that I often forgot to unmount /proc before leaving the chroot environment, thus when I was creating the CLOOP file I was pulling in the remaster environments proc directory as well, which could range between 50-300MB depending on what was being run.

knoppu
11-26-2006, 07:09 PM
to get the max onto a CD, it seems likely that KK has used

create_compressed_fs --best

This is VERY slow so you only want to do it having tested the image with qemu.