PDA

View Full Version : Making a music CD

Ewen
04-25-2003, 07:03 AM
I have used the burner programme K3b to successfully burn data CDs but when it comes to music it's a different story.

I have ripped a CD using a different OS to the hard-drive as .wav files and now I want to burn them to a CD using the Knoppix OS but when I attemot to do this I get this message:

http://bogle.homestead.com/files/k3b_burner.jpg

I have found a similar post

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1553&highlight=

but I'm not sure I understand what has to be done. Can someone help please?

rickenbacherus
04-26-2003, 02:07 AM
Phooey on K3b. Use cdrecord, it's much easier AND it actually works.

# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 2.01a05 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX100E ' '2.0h' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) 'HITACHI ' 'DVD-ROM GD-2500 ' '0101' Removable CD-ROM
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

Notice how it identifies my cdburner as 0,0,0. Your mileage may vary.

cd /the/directory/with/your/.wav/files

cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -audio track*.wav

This is assuming you have a 4x cd burner. This command will burn ALL files in the directory to cd. If you just want to test without making a coaster use the -dummy option like so:

cdrecord -v -dummy speed=4 dev=0,0,0 track*.wav

Do man cdrecord to learn more.

Fabianx
04-26-2003, 09:45 PM
I have used the burner programme K3b to successfully burn data CDs but when it comes to music it's a different story.

I have ripped a CD using a different OS to the hard-drive as .wav files and now I want to burn them to a CD using the Knoppix OS but when I attemot to do this I get this message:

http://bogle.homestead.com/files/k3b_burner.jpg

I have found a similar post

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1553&highlight=

but I'm not sure I understand what has to be done. Can someone help please?

Just open k3b, go to Settings, Configure k3b.

Goto devices and set it for your burner to generic-mmc.

cu

Fabian

rickenbacherus
04-26-2003, 10:14 PM

cu

Fabian

It would seem Fabian that K3b has wrecked more than a few fstabs. I have no trouble using other gui's. k3b also errors trying to copy a cd. The only time it worked was to burn an .iso

Fabianx
04-26-2003, 10:19 PM

cu

Fabian

It would seem Fabian that K3b has wrecked more than a few fstabs. I have no trouble using other gui's. k3b also errors trying to copy a cd. The only time it worked was to burn an .iso

You talk about k3b-setup, I talk about configure k3b. And yes, k3b does work like a charm here. (Music-Dds, Isos, Data, Copy, No problems)

cu

Fabian

rickenbacherus
04-26-2003, 11:19 PM
You talk about k3b-setup, I talk about configure k3b. And yes, k3b does work like a charm here. (Music-Dds, Isos, Data, Copy, No problems)

cu

Fabian

Huh- I'll have to check it out. Am I to understand then that your experience with k3b setup is similar to mine or did it work for you?

Fabianx
04-26-2003, 11:35 PM

cu

Fabian

Huh- I'll have to check it out. Am I to understand then that your experience with k3b setup is similar to mine or did it work for you?
k3bsetup is (sorry to say that) CRAP.

But "Configure k3b" (and THAT IS NOT THE SAME, sorry for shouting ;-) ) works and k3b does work also!

cu

Fabian

Ewen
04-27-2003, 04:25 AM
Kb3 Setup will not let me in without a root password ... how the devil do I do that? Verything I try gets kicked back>

goba
04-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Copy/Paste from FAQ

Q: What is the root password?
A: There is none; all passwords are locked by default. You can set it by going Knoppix Menu->Root Shell and typing "passwd", then enterting a root password, also there are several sections you can read dealing with this subject in KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt. You can also type "sudo su" or "sudo -s" in any console window, or use <ctr>-<alt>-F2 to get at the text console with already opened root shell.

Fabianx
04-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Kb3 Setup will not let me in without a root password ... how the devil do I do that? Verything I try gets kicked back>

YOU SHOULD GO TO "Configure k3b" NOT TO K3B Setup.

DO NOT USE "k3bsetup" !!!!!

Did I speak clear now ?

cu

Fabian

Ewen
04-27-2003, 11:16 PM
Struth!... I can hear you from here. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens... and I'll post back.

Ewen
04-28-2003, 07:19 AM
FabianX... I have used "configure" and all the items are greyed out except for:

Burnfree
CD/RW Drive
Supports DAO Writing

The Interface type is shown as "Generic SCSI" and I suspect that this is the one that needs changing... it is however greyed out.

rickenbacherus
04-28-2003, 01:57 PM
FabianX... I have used "configure" and all the items are greyed out except for:

Burnfree
CD/RW Drive
Supports DAO Writing

The Interface type is shown as "Generic SCSI" and I suspect that this is the one that needs changing... it is however greyed out.
In K3b Configure I have a line that reads

Cdrdao driver: auto

If you click 'auto' it becomes a pull down menu. It is not very obvious perhaps that it is a pull down menu.

Ewen
04-29-2003, 05:06 AM
rickenbacherus... you are a genius... it works!

Thank you for your help.

Seeker
09-25-2003, 06:50 AM
I tried that cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -audio track*.wav but it didn't work... well, actually, it sorta worked, but not quite right.

First, I change directory to where all my wavs are at.. I tried what you typed exactly at first (my cdrw is also on 0,0,0) but that didn't work, so I just replaced track*.wav with what the first file's name, which was ripped_01*.wav... but all it did was burn just that track.

What am I missing? All the other tracks are similarly named (ripped_02, ripped_03, etc.).

Stephen
09-25-2003, 07:15 AM
I tried that cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -audio track*.wav but it didn't work... well, actually, it sorta worked, but not quite right.

First, I change directory to where all my wavs are at.. I tried what you typed exactly at first (my cdrw is also on 0,0,0) but that didn't work, so I just replaced track*.wav with what the first file's name, which was ripped_01*.wav... but all it did was burn just that track.

What am I missing? All the other tracks are similarly named (ripped_02, ripped_03, etc.).
track*.wav
ripped_01*.wav

What you are missing is you are trying to match a pattern with the * wild card character and you have only given it an option to match files that are named ripped_01_with_some_other_characters_here.wav not ripped_some_characters.wav so you should use ripped*.wav in the line to record.

Seeker
09-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Oh wow, whatdya know.

Thanks again man.