PDA

View Full Version : How can I change DNS?

cchano
09-20-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm just a new Knoppix user on version 3.9 live CD. I would like to know how can I change DNS? I found only on IP setup in network card setup. Because my DSL internet need to set the DNS.
Thanks
cchano@hotmail.com

Harry Kuhman
09-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Run netcardconfig. Say no to DHCP setup. It will let you set up a DNS (which it calls a Nameserver). Have your desired IP address and releated information handy too.

You would do yourself a big favor though if you just bough a dirt cheap DSL/cable router and let that set up your Knoppix system. In addition to getting all of the setup information by DHCP and not needing any PPPoE software on any of your computers or OSs any more, you would have the basis of a small network and would have a hardware firewall that would protect your OSs (particularly windows) from attacks coming in from the Internet (Don't kid yourself, a software firewall isn't enough and the MS software ffrewall is worse than useless).

cchano
09-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Thank you for your kind. Actualy I use ADSL router modem(Aztech 600EW). Can I change only DNS with still automatic assign IP address from router modem, like edit confuration file?
Chano